We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Wales to Suburban Station - safe?

Northeastern PA
7 posts
Save Topic
North Wales to Suburban Station - safe?

Hello everyone,

I have once again subscribed to the Philly Orchestra, but this time I want to take the train into the city. I live in northeastern PA, so I'd be taking the Northeast Extension, most likely the Lansdale exit, to the North Wales station. My question is how safe are the stations/trains and surrounding areas in the morning (going into Philadelphia) and leaving (on one of the two last trains from Suburban Station. I'd be walking from the Kimmel Center around 10pm if that helps. I've been in Center City before, but I've never taken the train in, so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Wales to Suburban Station - safe?

I'd have no concern about the Center City portion of the route, even at 10 PM that area is pretty busy. General city advice applies, stick to main, well lighted streets, etc. If the weather is bad, its an inexpensive cab ride.

My actual concern would be with the N Wales station and not for personal safety, vehicle safety. At that time and that location, you might have the only car left in the lot, which can be a draw for thieves looking for break-in loot. If possible, park near a light pole when you arrive.

Northeastern PA
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North Wales to Suburban Station - safe?

Are there other stations that would be safer vehicle-wise?

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Wales to Suburban Station - safe?

Not in general, and I am NOT trying to scare you. The odds are in your favor. Basically most of the suburban train stations are business commuters so there is not a lot of late traffic. Taking usual precautions that you would anywhere should be fine, for example, don't leave a GPS mount on your window (good advice in general, nowadays).

Depending on where in NE PA you are at and what your budget is, you might look at Amtrak as well, strictly for less driving after a long day, but thats a personal decision.

Northeastern PA
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: North Wales to Suburban Station - safe?

I didn' t think there was Amtrak service to my area - I'm in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area. Incidentally, I forgot to mention (though you can probably gather it from the post), that I'll be doing this on Saturdays, if that makes a difference. I appreciate the advice.

Mentioned in this post
Wilkes-Barre
Wilkes-Barre
Luzerne County, PA
Scranton
Scranton
Pennsylvania
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,590 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Wales to Suburban Station - safe?

I really hesitate to suggest one station over another. All stations are potential targets at night. They are generally well lit, but desolate. Stations in a bad area might attract habitual thieves, while those in nice area can attract bored suburban kids. The reality is that your odds of having a problem are very slim, but not zero.

All that being said, perhaps the Doylestown station might be a better choice. However, it is a 75 minute trip from town. You would get off the turnpike at the Quakertown exit and head east on Rt 313.

Honestly, it's actually faster to drive all the way in, not even counting waiting for the train. Add that time in, and there's not much reason NOT to drive This is true from almost any SEPTA rail station.

Parking would be more expensive than the train, though, but if you have season orchestra tickets, the price may not be a problem for you (or maybe you are now broke!)

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Wales to Suburban Station - safe?

Actually, on Saturdays, there is reasonable parking to be found near the Kimmel center if you get there early enough. I'll actually be near there next week, if I have time I will see what's around.

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Wales to Suburban Station - safe?

There is a lot right across the street from the Kim. Center. There is also another lot that is pretty inexpensive in the Wanamaker building.

Northeastern PA
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: North Wales to Suburban Station - safe?

Yes, but I'd have to drive into the city to use them... I was hoping to avoid that.

I've never driven out of Philly at 10:30pm on a Saturday - no idea how difficult it'd be.

southeastern, pa
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: North Wales to Suburban Station - safe?

If you park at any suburban station, like a North Wales, try to park on the side the train is returning from CC Phila, close to where you would disembark. That way you should almost beat the train out of the station to your car. You should be fine. Saturdays you should have many options. But try to buy a ticket before hand, ???, SEPTA is unforgiving about that.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,590 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Wales to Suburban Station - safe?

Driving out of town on a Saturday shouldn't eb a problem. Even if you hit a jam in town, it's still faster than the train.