We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only a few days to go !! - need help on the following please

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Only a few days to go !! - need help on the following please

Only a few days to go !! we are so excited !! May I pick your brains again on the following.

We are staying at The Hampton on Race Street - are there any bars nearby to chill and have a drink after busy day shopping ? Also are all bars non smoking now ?

I would love to scrapbook our trip and have found A C Moore at 1851 S Columbus Boulevard - are there any more scrapbooking stores we should visit ?

If we get a taxi to S Columbus Boulevard - will it be easy to get a taxi back from there ?

Should we book Christmas lunch somewhere ? don't want anything formal.

Many thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Ristorante Pesto
££ - £££, Italian
Beiler's Bakery
£, American, Fast food
Fiorino
££ - £££, Italian, Mediterranean
philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only a few days to go !! - need help on the following please

McGilin's the oldest pub in Philadelphia is right near your hotel on 13th & Drury. Cold beer, reasonable prices, huge menu. Yes, the City of Phila has a no smoking policy in bars and restaurants. Some other good bars nearby are Finn McCool's, Fergie's and ElVez ( is a resturant with a great bar area).

I would take the number for a cab company when you head down to Columbus Blvd. Not sure where you are going, but if you are heading to one of the stores I would take just in case. There are usually cabs floating around, but you never know.

I would also book Christmas lunch just to be safe. Are you looking for anything in particular?

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
England
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only a few days to go !! - need help on the following please

Many thanks Heather for all the information - it all sounds great !

Would be quite happy with a Christmas lunch buffet - wasn't sure if this sort of thing would be open on Christmas day also a chinese is another option.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only a few days to go !! - need help on the following please

Heather gives great info. I am a HUGE fan of McGillin's and love El Vez as well (McGillin's is very laid back and El Vez is trendy, but they are both great places.

Suzanne

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only a few days to go !! - need help on the following please

Thank you McCarthy - will check them out.

If we were to get a bus to KOP would it be terrible expensive to come back by taxi ?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only a few days to go !! - need help on the following please

I live just south of KoP in Wayne and it's a $60 cab ride home from the airport. So, figure maybe $40 or so (maybe more?) from KoP to downtown Philly.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,544 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only a few days to go !! - need help on the following please

Cab from Old City to KOP this time of year is around $50 each way (tip not included), mainly because of traffic wait time near the mall. Some cab companies won't make that run in December, ties up their cars too long.

Depending on time of day, should be cabs on S. Columbus, but if in doubt as someone said carry the number. 215-333-3333 used to be liberty cabs?

Is the Irish Pub doing an Xmas brunch this year, if anyone knows?

Mentioned in this post
philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only a few days to go !! - need help on the following please

Liberty Cabs has always been 215-389-8000. I have stopped using them lately because they haven't been reliable. I like Olde City- 215.airport now.

8. Re: Only a few days to go !! - need help on the following please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 22:19