We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Parking in Downtown Philadelphia

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Topic
Car Parking in Downtown Philadelphia

Any advice or info on the cost of parking a car for 5 days in downtown Philadelphia? I will not need in and our privileges.

I know I don't need the car while I am in Philadelphia. But I will need one for other parts of my trip before and after the Philadelphia part. At this stage I'm just working out the economics.

I could rent 2 separate cars but then I'd have to pay 2 surcharges for one-way rentals. So it may be more economic for me to keep one car for the duration of my trip.

I'll be staying near Rittenhouse Square. Thanks.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Parking in Downtown Philadelphia

The least expensive parking in that area is at 20th & Sansom at $17.00/day. Note that you are near several of the major car rental firms, so getting to a rental car would be very easy.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Parking in Downtown Philadelphia

Olwyn is correct about the parking situation. That is the cheapest lot around there.

Several months ago the relative of a friend found themselves in your same situation. They could not find a cheap place to park, and would not be using their car while in the city. So, they dropped their stuff off at the hotel, drove over to on of the Patco train stops in NJ, and left the car there (free parking). They took the train back to the city, and walked just a few blocks to their hotel. They said the whole thing was so painless, they would do it again. Sounds like a hassle to me, but they said it was worth the bother.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Parking in Downtown Philadelphia

An alternative would be to take the car to one of the off-site parking lots at the airport (Pre-flight is $11 per day indoor), take their free shuttle to terminal B at the airport (just say USAir) then catch the train into Philly for about $7. Probably safer than the patco option..

That said, you are only saving about $15 for the trouble.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Parking in Downtown Philadelphia

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input. Looking forward to visiting in April.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Parking in Downtown Philadelphia

I'll be in town for a convention (@ the convention center) in June; staying at the Marriott Residence Inn which has parking for $40/day with in-out. That seems high and I have heard the valet is very slow! The lot on Sansom seems far, anything closer? Any others with experience at the Residence Inn or parking around the convention center, please respond. Thanks.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Parking in Downtown Philadelphia

There's a garage across from the main Marriott (short distance from the RI) that charges between $18 and $24 a day depending on what is going on. It's clean, well lit, and easy to get in and out of.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,721 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Parking in Downtown Philadelphia

Loonbeam offered a good alternative. There's also other parking lots that are a little cheaper. Fasttrack (fasttrack.com) is only $6.95 per day (no coupon necessary).

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
740 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Parking in Downtown Philadelphia

I'm near Rittenhouse Square in May and considered the PATCO option, but their web site indicates no 24 hour parking. Can anyone fill me in on this policy. I wouldn't mind parking near Collinswood or Haddonfield, but I will be leaving golf clubs in thecar.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Parking in Downtown Philadelphia

I would not recommend parking overnight at Patco. Not that it's inherently bad, but the lights go off and the lots are not monitored at most stations after around 11 PM.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Parking in Downtown Philadelphia

I literally just found a parking lot on Arch between 13th and Broad for $12 a day on the weekends! It's a large open lot across from a huge construction site but after paying $35 to valet my car at the Courtyard Marriott in Penns Square in Center City. The lot is a 5 min walk to the hotel and there's a Dunkin Donuts right across from the lot! Can't be beat!