We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Independence Hall

Valley Center, KS
Level Contributor
65 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Independence Hall

We will be vacationing & driving from Harrisburg to Phil. to visit Independence Hall. We are not used to big town driving and would like to know if it is advisable to try driving through Phil. or park somewhere on the outskirts and take public transporation. If public trans. is advised, where is the best place to park to get aboard. Prefer not to use taxi service if other transporation is available from the west side to Independence Hall.

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Independence Hall

It is really easy to navigiate through here. I don't think you will have much issue driving to IH. Are you looking to do anything else while you are here?

Valley Center, KS
Level Contributor
65 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Independence Hall

Yeah, but we don't know anything about the Philadelphia area. We're just two old coots from Kansas and won't have our wives with us so we will not have to do the shopping thing. We'd like to take the tour of Lincoln Financial Field but don't know what their Fall tour schedule looks like yet. Also, we would like to see as many historical sites as possible but don't know what is available or where to go so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,195 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Independence Hall

Well, if you won't have your wives with you, you are bound to get lost, because as we all know, men won't ask for directions :)

Anyway, for the most part, it is pretty easy to get around. Most of downtown is a grid. What tricks people up is that most of the streets are one-way, and they don't necessarily alternate, so that means you may need to go a few blocks out of your way. It's no big deal once you get used to it. There are a couple of two-way streets, and one on a diagonal, but that is really big (Benjamin Franklin Parkway). And then there are a few squares, one in each quadrant. Take a look at a map- it sounds more complicated than it really is.

If it sounds do-able to you, write back, and I'll fill you in on parking. If you decide to take the train, write back, and I'll explain how to get from 30th Street Station to the historic area without taking a cab.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,268 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Independence Hall

Sounds like the parking garage on 2nd Street between Chestnut and Walnut would be a good place for you to park. Leave your car there while you sight-see.

For info on the historic sites and sights, I recommend this website:

ushistory.org

It includes several self-guided walking tours.

Lynn

bucks co.
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Independence Hall

It is relatively simple to navigate. Philly is much better signed than it was years ago. From Harrisburg take the PA Turnpike to I76 East from there follow about 15=20 miinutes to I676 to 8th St. Turn right off the exit follow a few blocks to Market St take left and in about 3-4 block you are iin the middlye of the historic area. Just avoid I76 dirung rush hour and youo should be fine. I76 is Grand Prixx driving at its finest.

Valley Center, KS
Level Contributor
65 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Independence Hall

Hey Owlyn,

No need for us guys to ask directions anymore, wives have been replaced by the GPS.

7. Re: Driving to Independence Hall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 21:15