We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Bus? How Best to See Hilights in 3 Days?

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Bus? How Best to See Hilights in 3 Days?

How best can our family see the highlights in 3 Days?

A Tour Bus? Which do you recommend for a 3 Day stint?

or are there particular individual tours you'd recommend?????

We're staying at the Hyatt Regency Penn's Landing - what can we best walk to?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Bus? How Best to See Hilights in 3 Days?

Tell us a little about your family (ages of children, etc) and what your interests are (art, history, science, eating?) and we can better answer this question. Also, what time of year are you traveling here?

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Bus? How Best to See Hilights in 3 Days?

Thank you!

Coming in 2 weeks! Fam of 4 - includes two girls, ages 12 & 10.

We LOVE to eat - good places &/or places with great scenery & personality! $$$ not necess. a prob.

We're staying at the Hyatt Penn's Landing.

Long museums are not desired, but given that none of us have ever been there - we want to hit the historical main stuff.

3 days. Is a tour best? Which one? Can we even hit the highlights in 3 days?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
932 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Bus? How Best to See Hilights in 3 Days?

The Big Bus Tour (operated by Philadelphia Trolley Works) offers a good introduction to the city, and can be especially fun if the weather is nice and you can ride on the top, open-air deck of the bus. They also allow you the flexibility of hopping on and off, spending some time at sites you're particularly interested in.

That said, you can explore the city easily on your own, using the convenient Philly Phlash bus, (inexpensive family passes available) which covers the tourist area from Penn's Landing to the art museum. It's not a guided tour, but you get on and off at whichever sites you choose.

There are also self-guided walking tours available at the Independence Park visitors' center which cover the main historic sites. A good resource for background and other self-guided tours is www.ushistory.org.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
932 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Bus? How Best to See Hilights in 3 Days?

I didn't mention food in my previous post, and others will weigh in with their favorites, but I'll mention some options close to your hotel.

For breakfast, South Street Diner is convenient. Nothing fancy, but close by and reasonable.

Across the street from the diner, Pietro's is a good option for pizza. For finer Italian dining in the neighborhood, I like Bistro Romana, excellent food in a 1700's building with a fascinating history. It's located on Lombard St, between Front and 2nd.

For great views, Moshulu is a restaurant in an early sailing vessel moored in the river steps from your hotel. It's pricey, and you'll probably get the same views from your hotel, but another option nevertheless.

All of these except the diner have web sites that will give you more information and menus.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
932 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Bus? How Best to See Hilights in 3 Days?

Sorry. Edit the spelling to Bistro Romano.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Bus? How Best to See Hilights in 3 Days?

cat, take a look at the suggestions under the recent post "philadelphia with children." I would definitely put the following two items on your list: Constitution Center (that will take a couple of hours) and the Franklin Institute Science Museum (could be a full day activity if you include IMAX movie and planetarium visit).

As far as tours, in addition to the Big Bus Tour you could consider the Ride the Ducks tour. http://www.phillyducks.com/

You can also pick up various walking tours at the Independence visitor's center.

http://www.ushistory.org/districts/index.html

With your age kids, it may also be fun to take a bike ride along the river. There is a bike rental place at boathouse row, in Lloyd Hall.

For general tourist information, and more ideas, please look at this site http://www.gophila.com/

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,104 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour Bus? How Best to See Hilights in 3 Days?

Make sure you get tickets for the timed tour of independence hall. Also, a horse/carriage ride with a good historical guide would be a great idea.

The reading market is a must-do.

For food, I might consider the Melting Pot (fondue).

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
139 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour Bus? How Best to See Hilights in 3 Days?

I second the horse/carrage ride in place of the bus, it is fun as well as informative, but does stay mainly in the old city area, which contains most of the historic sites but not all (major thing you would not see is the art mueseam, which is worth a visit even if just for the steps). a good site to check out for dining and shoping in the area is www.oldcitydistrict.org as this lists many things on the area as well as the local sites, shops and dining options all within walking distance of your hotel.

Hope this helps

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
509 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour Bus? How Best to See Hilights in 3 Days?

As far as I'm aware, the carriage drivers must pass an exam to become tour operators - and they are very informed and put on a good ride. If you can deal with the horses then it's a good option.

Otherwise, the ride the ducks would be a good way to get to know the city a bit - especially with kids. http://www.phillyducks.com/

As far as 3 days, that's a good amount of time and you'll be able to see what you want without rushing. As above, just make sure you get your Independence Hall tickets asap so that you get a time that works for you. It's a great tour if you've never been there.

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour Bus? How Best to See Hilights in 3 Days?

Thank you for the info!!!

I quickly went & reserved us a tour------

Now, let me ask: How long does the tour typically last?

and what all does it include ----around the old time - or just thru the hall????