We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute travel FROM Philly

Marlton, NJ
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute travel FROM Philly

So I just found out I have a week to myself. Any suggestions for very last minute travel FROM Philadelphia (or Newark)??

I'm in South Jersey, traveling alone, have from late THIS Saturday to the following Saturday and can leave anytime.

I'm asking here b/c I have no particular destination in mind and searching all the last minute sites is making my head spin.

Would love to find a place where I can rent a small Sunfish-like sailboat, but really I want sun, water (could just be a great outdoor pool) and relaxation without boredom.

My biggest problem is an expired Passport. So that rules out many Carib/Mexico trips. Budget is somewhat open, but would love to keep it affordable.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

~ s

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,201 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute travel FROM Philly

Well, if money is no problem I will suggest Puerto Rico. It's a US territorry so no passport is necessary. Same with the US Virgin Islands. Same laws, same insurance coverages, same coin, etc.

Puerto Rico offers many, many water sports from kayaking to jet-skiing to wind surfing, etc. There's also many beautiful lodging choices by the beach.

Check out the link below and/or the PR forum on Trip Advisor for more info. I'm originally from there and visit often so if you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

http://welcome.topuertorico.org/index.shtml

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,201 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute travel FROM Philly

One more thing...

US Airways has direct flights from Philly to San Juan (they have one departing at 5:50 pm). I think that American and/or Jet Blue have direct flights from Newark.

Other options to consider would be Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, San Diego.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
172 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute travel FROM Philly

What about Key West? It's a huge sailing/fishing destination and very beautiful and FUN! Fly into Miami or Fort Lauderdale (you can get cheap air from USA3000) and rent a car. It's about a two hour drive from Miami. You could fly into the keys but it's more expensive.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
216 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute travel FROM Philly

I would agree with kellianne17, key west is exactly what your looking for, "really I want sun, water (could just be a great outdoor pool) and relaxation without boredom." pretty much describes every time i have been down to the florida keys. If you have any questons bout the area the key west forum on TA is a great way to get some info

Solebury...
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute travel FROM Philly

I've been to Key West and to the USVI (St Thomas). I found St. Thomas less expensive than Key West. First thing to do is figure out which airfare is going to be cheaper, then take it from there. Florida will probably be less expensive to fly into.

6. Re: Last minute travel FROM Philly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 15:33