We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in the burbs

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
44 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in the burbs

Hi there, I am due to travel to Philly in Nov for a congress but all downtown hotels are sold out or very expensive. Is there somewhere good to stay, 30-45 minutes drive from downtown which has a nice atmosphere for 3 thirtysomethings, - I have considered Wilmington DE, any thoughts, Cheers

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in the burbs

What is your per night budget and exact dates you will be in Philadelphia? Hotels change their rates in accordance with demand, but the Philadelphia Destination Experts on this forum are very good at identifying hotels to fit within people's budget and needs.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
44 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in the burbs

Thanks for the quick reply

\

We are looking for accomodation 4 star or better under $400pppn 5 to 9th November. The issue is the American Society of Nephrology annual Reneal week Congress means 12000 physicians and pharmacautical company workers are decending on the city.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,725 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in the burbs

King of Prussia fits the bill however, traffic to/from Philly can be a killer during rush hour. The mall is there, and there are bar/restaurants usually packed for happy hours.

There's really not much to do in Wilmington. Other than bar/restaurants, there's really nothing else.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,725 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in the burbs

Similar to Wilmington, there's not much to do at the airport area but at least it's closer to the city and away from the I-95 rush hour traffic to/from DE.

The Embassy Suites is in that area and it has an open restaurant with a nice atmosphere. The Reinassance is also there.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
44 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in the burbs

Thanks Paris

All I knew abour King of Prussia was the mall, 'll investigate further - I was hoping there was a smaller town, maybe n the edge of Bucks County or in Jersey with a little town centre?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in the burbs

Try the Marriott Philadelphia West in West Conshohocken, PA. It is a nice hotel. There are bars and restaurants in walking distance. It is also possible to take the train into center city from there. I think it would be perfect if they have availability.

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
334 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in the burbs

I wouldn't recommend Wilmington for your needs.

Try Devon,Wayne or that area. There's a lot for thirtysomethings to do on rte. 30.Several nice clubs and restaurants. Check the Marriott in that vicinity. It's not far to get on the turnpike back to the city.It's close to King of Prussia but not as crowded. If you don't know the area near the mall it can be a bit harrowing. You may want to look in the Wynnewood area, it's not far from the city.

If you are willing to drive that far you may want to go south from the city and stay in the Haverford area.There are several hotels on Township Line and a large shopping area.

Save the next part if you're ever back to sightsee with family. If you want to go to an historic area, I’d go to Chadds Ford.Save this is ou ever come back for sightseeing with family. There’s a lot to do just there alone. I 95 is not far from Baltimore Pike, which goes through Media and onto Rte. 1 going south from the city. If you hit traffic, the scenery is wonderful. The Concordville Inn has a beautiful Hotel, but it’s a bit pricey. Worth every penny to me. You’d be near Longwood Gardens, The Hagley Museum, Winterthur, The Brandywine River Museum (The Wyeth Museum) It’s a drive, but a good one and the directions are easy.

Sounds like you'd like Devon or Wayne the best, it's fun and upscale. Party at night and you're also near public transportation if it's needed.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,725 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in the burbs

King of Prussia is a corporate area. There are many companies stationed around the mall so the happy hours at Champps, Fox and Hound and Bahama Breeze are usually crowded.

There's also nice restaurants such as Ruth's Chris and Maggiano's.

There's a Crowne Plaza across the street and also a Holiday Inn Express over by Hooters (walking distance).

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
334 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in the burbs

I love this hotel which is also near quite a few places to go on rte. 3o for fun- or King of Prussia for that matter.

It's right in the middle of Wayne, and very convenient, since it's not highly advertised, I just thought I'd mention it.

http://www.waynehotel.com/

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,450 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in the burbs

Another option might be to stay in the Mt. Laurel NJarea. Plenty of availability way below your budget. From there its a 20-30 min drive in, or you can drive to a Patco station and take the train in and not worry about parking.

Plenty of chain restaurants, etc. around there too if you don't want to stay in the city.

Depending on how many people in the room, the Park Hyatt at the bellevue in Center City is showing $449 for a double, so if two people are going, that's within your range (I am guessing you want solo rooms, however).

Also, do you have status with any hotel chains (or know someone who does?) with good status on some chains they are required to get you a room. My friend has pplatinum at Marriott, he's gotten me in places that were booked for months.

Another thought, does the conference not have a hotel block? They usually do, though it may be sold out.

If you are a gambler, hotwire is showing availability in both Penns Landing and CC East areas for way less that your budget. I'll let our hotwire expert try to guess what hotels they are.. $139 in CC east per night.

Finally, another suggestion is to call hotels directly, sometimes they have rooms that are not in the national systems inventory.