We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College Visit week-end: Need to understand getting around

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Worcester, MA
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
College Visit week-end: Need to understand getting around

My son and I are flying into PHL and staying at the Crowne Plaza - Main Line (4100 Presidential Blvd.) $104 a night, from Thursday 11/13/08 and departing Sunday 11/16. Friday is the Drexel morning visit and all day Saturday is Penn. Univ. Friday afternoon & night and Sat. night we are on our own and want to see at least the Liberty Bell & Independance Hall.

Questions:

1) Is hotel in OK place - safe? or can you think of a better option reasonably priced?

2) Do I need to rent a car (free parking at hotel) given my above plans or can public transportation work from airport, hotel, colleges and some eating and sightseeing? I can rent a car for just under $100 for the entire trip.

3) Is there any other must see or retaurants we should try to fit in?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: College Visit week-end: Need to understand getting around

Why are you staying outside the City? There are many hotel options in town close to Drexel and Penn. Downtown Philly is great! There are also hotels in University City. I'll run your dates through hotwire and see what comes up.

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: College Visit week-end: Need to understand getting around

I don't see anything that comes close to your current price. Are you willing to spend more and make the visit easier and more enjoyable?

Would you consider staying at a B&B? If so, take a look at bnbphiladelphia.com and check out the options in Society Hill.

Lynn

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,840 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: College Visit week-end: Need to understand getting around

You're not terribly far from Penn or Drexel (the campuses are right next to each other- they almost overlap). But, as Lynn mentions, there are much more convenient places to stay. The campuses are right next to downtown. It would be a shame to not stay in town or on campus so you can get a proper feel for school life. Many students live in town or in University City (next to the campuses). The more I think about it, the more I think you should try to change hotels if you can. There's not much near the one you're in. A few chain restaurants, a busy main thoroughfare, and a busy expressway. The area is okay, but not great.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: College Visit week-end: Need to understand getting around

For the Crowne Plaza Main Line you will want a car. While there is bus transportation nearby, I believe that it goes to Center City and not University City.

So add the cost of renting a car to your room and see whether it still makes sense to stay there or whether you would be better off at one of the hotels in University city. Crowne Plaza can be a base for exploring Manayunk and the Main Line (western suburbs). I live in the area and can advise you on restaurants, etc., if you decide to stay there.

Worcester, MA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: College Visit week-end: Need to understand getting around

Thanks for all the input so far. I am not stuck on that hotel, I can cancel easily enough but when I search for the ones near the campus' they were either 200 a night or booked solid. I will try B&B and I could go up a bit from the 104 plus tax etc.,and with what I pay for a car might make it easier but should I search a certain area/street/site that would make it easier for me to find another? I have no idea on what areas or sections of the city are what. I thought with 3 nights I'd be more lucky.

Also getting from the airport to the city, is that transportation available for a reasonable price for two people?

Please advise and thanks for the input again!

Beth

Worcester, MA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: College Visit week-end: Need to understand getting around

PS will try B&B's - love them!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: College Visit week-end: Need to understand getting around

Try the historic/old city area which will put you close to the historic attractions as well as restaurants. You can then either cab or take public transportation to University City.

Worcester, MA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: College Visit week-end: Need to understand getting around

I also need two beds obviously.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: College Visit week-end: Need to understand getting around

When you go to www.bnbphiladelphia.com you will see Center City as one of the sections. Click on that option and then you will see listings in vaious neighborhoods. I suggest you look into the listings for the historic area (covers Old City and Society Hill, and would be my first choice), Washington Square West, and Rittenhouse (which puts you closer to University City but farther from most historical sites.)

To give you a general orientation, Center City (the original Philadelphia limits) is only two square miles from river to river and South St. to Vine St. In the center is Philadelphia City Hall. Center City is all very walkable. Most of the older sites are near the Delaware River, and the highrise business district is centered on Market Street west of Broad.

When trying to figure distance to University City, figure ten numbered streets per mile. If you stay at 4th and Chestnut it is 3 miles to 34th and Chestnut.

Lots of buses/subway run between Center City and University City, and Philly has many cabs.

Hope this helps!

Lynn

Worcester, MA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: College Visit week-end: Need to understand getting around

Thanks so much! When you don't know a city it's hard. I appreciate all teh feedback and maybe it'll help others too.