We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best gardens in Brandywine Valley for kids

Pennsylvania
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best gardens in Brandywine Valley for kids

My husband and I are staying in Philly next weekend and we wanted to go to one of the gardens in the Brandywine Valley. Do you have any recommendations as to which is better with 2 kids (a 2 year old and an infant). We're leaning towards Longwood, but perhaps it wouldn't be suitable for such little ones? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best gardens in Brandywine Valley for kids

Longwood Gardens are definitely your best choice. I'm not sure your kids will enjoy any garden, but there are plenty of shady places to rest and nice cafeteria. If they (and you) are ready for more after Longwood, nearby choices include the Brandywine River Museum (great collection of 3 generations of the Wyeths and they will be having their annual wildflower & native plant and seed sale next weekend) & the Brandywine (Revolutionary War) Battlefield.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best gardens in Brandywine Valley for kids

I agree. Longwood Gardens is incomparable. I think your 2 year old will be in awe.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best gardens in Brandywine Valley for kids

The indoor children's garden at Longwood shouldn't be missed.

Lynn

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
999 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best gardens in Brandywine Valley for kids

My 3 year old and 8 year old loved the indoor children's garden at Longwood. I don't think that the description on the website does it justice, so here's my attempt. The children's garden is designed so that you can give kids a little room to wander without them escaping into the main exhibition area. There is a non-scary "Drooling Dragon", a huge dragon sculpture/fountain in a little room. Best of all, there are shallow little fountains at toddler height just right for playing in. (You may want to bring an extra shirt or a towel) My boys both talked about it for months.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best gardens in Brandywine Valley for kids

In nice weather (because it's all outside), Winterthur's Enchanted Woods is also wonderful. winterthur.org/for_families/enchanted_woods.…

I think Longwood's new children's garden is "elegant," and the whimsical spirit of the prior children's garden has been lost. Winterthur's Enchanted Woods is still full of whimsy. But Longwood probably has more to offer youngsters beyond the kid-specific garden.

It sounds like you're talking about Mother's Day weekend. If you're thinking about coming on Sunday, be aware it is the single busiest day of the year at Longwood. It will be mobbed. So try to come Saturday (also usually busy, but nothing like Sunday).

If it's a great "outdoors" day, your toddler will love running around -- the Topiary Garden is always fun. The treehouses are a huge favorite. Walk down to the Italian Water Garden -- a Longwood staffer recently told me there's now a beaver in residence, who doesn't seem deterred by visitors gawking and taking photos. If your kids like animals, keep an eye out for the Longwood Cats, part of the natural pest control program: …wordpress.com/2009/03/18/purr-fect-partners/

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best gardens in Brandywine Valley for kids

Longwood is great. My kids love it there. Another good choice (although ot in the Brandywine valley) is The Morris Arboretum with is quite close to Philadelphia in the Chestnut Hill area.

Northeast Ohio
Level Contributor
137 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best gardens in Brandywine Valley for kids

Definately Longwood. Even if your kids aren't into the gardens, there's lots of space to just run around. Although your kids are still just babies. They'll likely be fascinated with anyplace you take them...or else they'll sleep :-)

8. Re: Best gardens in Brandywine Valley for kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2009, 05:19