We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philadelphia Airport Security

Wilmington, DE
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Philadelphia Airport Security

We haven't flown in a couple of years and I'm wondering how tight TSA is about bottles of liquid, like medicines and water.

Thanks

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,166 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philadelphia Airport Security

Can't address Philly, as I haven't flown there in a little while, but I have traveled in the last 6 weeks to Phoenix, Washington, DC and St. Louis from Detroit. TSA needs to gets its act together, as the rules are applied differently depending upon the airport and sometimes depending upon the individual agents. The one constant is that carryon liquids must be no larger than 3 ozs.

Example: leaving Detroit last week, it wasn't necessary to remove the toiletries from my suitcase and put them through the x-ray separately. All they wanted was for me to pack them on the top layer of my luggage so that the x-ray could ID them easily. They didn't even require the toiletries to be packed in a 1 litre plastic bag.

Coming back on Sunday, TSA in St. Louis was very picky. They wanted everything in a plastic bag and then the plastic bag had to be removed from the suitcase, placed in a separate tray and then through the x-ray machine. Go figure.

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
626 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philadelphia Airport Security

The best thing to do is to read through this: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm I usually pack a water bottle and drink it while I wait in line for security clearance and then re-fill the empty bottle at a water fountain afterwards. I have a handy clear zip-lock pouch that I put small amounts of liquids in like hand sanitizer, lip balm, land lotion, etc,. I believe you can take prescription medicine now as a carry on as long as it's labeled properly.

Wilmington, DE
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philadelphia Airport Security

Thanks for your help, I'm flying today and I'll let you know how it goes.

4. Re: Philadelphia Airport Security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2010, 06:17