We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November Pennsylvania Trip

Mustang,Oklahoma
4 posts
Save Topic
November Pennsylvania Trip

Great site and thanks for all of your input. I also will be in Eastern Pennsylvania in november. November 6-13 to be exact. Looking forward to having a great time. Any advice? I love Italian food,STEAK!!!,Shopping, and just about anything out of the ordinary. I plan on checking out Mutter Museum! Good times! Thanks again!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November Pennsylvania Trip

Hopaii,

Did you want additional information/advice or were all your questions answered in the other set of postings?

Mustang,Oklahoma
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: November Pennsylvania Trip

I have fond some advice on the board and many thanks,But still looking for some more specific. Maybe good place for Italian,Steaks,or Seafood. Out of the 8 days there I will be free 6 of them. So if there are any "don't miss" places to see or eat, would love to hear them! Thanks again to all!

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: November Pennsylvania Trip

I think there's a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse somewhere in Philly?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November Pennsylvania Trip

Ok, here are my recs:

Steak:

Barclay Prime (237 S. 18th St.) - it's the best our city, bar none. Another bonus is that it's not a chain, even an upscale chain.

Italian: (more than a couple of recs here, in no particular order)

Mezza Luna - 763 S. 8th St - the best gnocchi in the city, great veal dishes as well

Villa di Roma - 936 S 9th St - no-frills Italian dining right in the heart of the Italian Market. It's loud and very neighborhood oriented

Vetri - 1312 Spruce Street - the most expensive and most exquisite Italian in our city. Be prepared to pay lots, but so worth it.

Victor Cafe - 1303 Dickinson St - reasonably good food and singing waiters - great atmosphere

Mr Martino's Trattoria - 1646 E Passyunk Ave - my favorite Italian BYOB in the city - great prices for quality food

Bistro Romano - 120 Lombard St - one of my favorite restaurants in the city, hands down. In an 18th century granary. You must get the tableside Caesar salad, it is to die for.

Seafood:

Philadelphia Fish & Co - 207 Chestnut St - great innovative seafood right in the heart of Old City

DiNardo's - 312 Race St - if crabs are your thing, this is the place in Philly to get them

Sansom Street Oyster House - 1516 Sansom St -great seafood house with straightforward seafood dishes - nothing too trendy or fancy here

That should be a start from a local foodie! Hope that helps...good luck!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November Pennsylvania Trip

And don't forget to have breakfast and/or lunch at some point at Reading Terminal Market. If you leave THERE hungry, it's your own fault!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: November Pennsylvania Trip

Some food magazines consider Vetri the best Italian restaurant in the country, but it's not your standard fare so don't expect whatever you are accustomed to. The food is very creative and the atmosphere is completely relaxing. After eating there I felt like I had gone on vacation. If you do want to go, get a reservation ASAP. Our favorite, more traditional, Italian restaurant is Core de Roma on the 200 block of South Street.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: November Pennsylvania Trip

Regarding places to see (other than Independance Hall, Liberty Bell, Constitution Center, Art Museum) I recommend:

1. Franklin Court, which is also part of the National Park

2. Fireman's Hall - the museum of the history of firefighting

3. Philadelphia City Hall guided tour on weekdays at 12:30

4. Academy of Fine Arts - Collection of American art housed in a magnificent building one block north of City Hall

5. Reading Terminal Market(the essence of Philadelphia)

6. Walking around Old City and Society Hill

7. Ritz Movie Theatres - there are three of these independant release movie theatres in the area of the National Park. Great for a low-keyed evening or if the weather is miserable.

Mustang,Oklahoma
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: November Pennsylvania Trip

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful information. Looking forward to a wonderful time in Philadelphia!