We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PHL - Distance between Terminal A-East and Terminal B

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
PHL - Distance between Terminal A-East and Terminal B

I'm looking at flights with a 45 minute layover in PHL. They're both domestic flights, but one landes in Terminal A East and the other departs from Terminal B.

Can anyone advice on how long of a walk it is between terminals? Will I have to pass through security again in Terminal B?

Thanks!

Lauren

Mentioned in this post
Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PHL - Distance between Terminal A-East and Terminal B

Depending on the actual gate locations, 8-10 minute walk at a good clip, no security to reclear. 45 minutes is the absolute minimum and I personally would not recommend it. (Remember that even if you arrive on time you have to allow time to get off your original plane and boarding for plane #2 is 25-30 minutes before departure.)

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PHL - Distance between Terminal A-East and Terminal B

Side note - don't assume that if a flight lands in B now it will always land there. USAir doesn't assign gates till same day and can use any gate in the B/C area.

Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PHL - Distance between Terminal A-East and Terminal B

Be very thankful it's Terminal A-East and not West!

Flight 1750 from Vegas I've taken many times and it gets in around 10:30 pm. It arrives typically at A26 I guess because of reductions in what's open that time of night. Then we have to walk to B-C baggage claim.

What a walk! Might be a slight exaggeration but seems like 15-20 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,723 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PHL - Distance between Terminal A-East and Terminal B

The walk to the Baggage Claim B is indeed about 20 minutes from A26, but you will not have to go there, as your luggage will transfer to your next flight. Although there have been good reports lately of luggage making it to the next flight on short layovers, there is no guarantee. I would definitely carry-on a change of clothes just in case your luggage is delayed to a later flight. You are looking at a 10-20 minute walk from A East to B, depending on how far within each terminal you need to go. There are some moving walkways to help between the two terminals, but be sure to walk when you are on them- don't stand still. You need all the help you can get to make the connection. You will not have to go through security again, unless you choose to leave the secure area (for example, go to the baggage claim area). Wear sneakers.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
9,082 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PHL - Distance between Terminal A-East and Terminal B

Gate A26 is actually located at terminal A-West, not A-East. A-East is mostly used by other airlines: American Airlines, and others. As far as I know, US Airways no longer uses terminal A-East, but A-West.

The walk from A-West to terminal B is quite a hike but there are moving walkways along the way. As noted above, wear comfortable shoes.

Edited: 01 June 2010, 13:51
Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PHL - Distance between Terminal A-East and Terminal B

The original poster didn't say A26 was their gate (or their flight plans) so we can't assume that...

Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PHL - Distance between Terminal A-East and Terminal B

Sorry for getting things off-track by mentioning A26...

I was trying to light-heartedly make the point that it could be worse...

Hopefully the legal connection time between A-West and Terminal B is more than 45 minutes.

FWIW per the terminal map A-East covers A1-A13 so the OP must expect to be coming in on one of those gates.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PHL - Distance between Terminal A-East and Terminal B

45 mins is still considered legal for A-West, but generally a bad idea (thats for Domestic flights, of course)

9. Re: PHL - Distance between Terminal A-East and Terminal B

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 06:18