We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks with parents

Philadelphia
3 posts
Save Topic
3 weeks with parents

My parents are coming to visit me (here in Philadelphia) towards the end of June for 3 weeks. They're coming from another country and don't speak English, and well- they're coming to see me, so I feel obligated to show them a good time.

I'm supposed to be studying for tests, but I'm trying to plan out a few fun trips during their stay here, and was looking for suggestions/destinations. They've already been to Philly, NY and DC before. Driving is probably out of the question (shame on me, I know), but train/bus trips and airplane flights are all fair game.

Here's what I have so far: finishing up our tour of Philly, spending a weekend in AC to satisfy my Dad's gambling urges, going down to Florida for a few days (someone suggested taking a train from Virginia, has anyone done that? And what parts of Florida do you recommend?)...

Haha sorry for the long post. I know it's a very broad question, but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Photography Tours Of Philadelphia
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours
SailingPhiladelphia
Boat Tours, Boat Hire, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Ryerss Museum and Library
Art Galleries, Libraries, Art Museums, Sightseeing Tours
Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,535 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks with parents

You can take the train direct from Philly (Virginia is only if you need the auto train), but unless you plan to stop on the way, flying is probably more reasonable.

I can think of lots of options, but depends on budget. Perhaps consider Boston?

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,545 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks with parents

It's a 24 hour train ride from Philadelphia to Tampa (6 hours more to Miami). Flying is usually cheaper. How about Baltimore?

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
167 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks with parents

A bunch of day trip suggestions:

Baltimore Inner Harbor

Harrisburg (the state Capitol is pretty nice. The tours are good but I guess your parents won't understand them. You could also walk along the river and whatnot). Everything there is really close to the Amtrak station.

Longwood Gardens/Winterthur (you could even manage both in 1 day if you feel like it, don't bother to go to the museum in Winterthur and just wander around the gardens, unless your parents like old furniture). It's a short drive, so shouldn't be a problem.

The Barnes Foundation if they're into art (not really a day trip, but long-ish since it's a bit outside of Philly)

Edited: 14 June 2010, 01:44
Mentioned in this post
Harrisburg
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks with parents

I would suggest a day trip to Harrisburg. All of the following are within walking distance of the train station in downtown Harrisburg.

1. You can ride the “Pride of the Susquehanna” riverboat on City Island, play Water Golf, take a horse drawn carriage ride, or catch a Harrisburg Senators minor league baseball game during the summer (www.harrisburgpa.gov/parksRec/cityIsland/).

3. The PA State Capitol has tours and there is the PA Museum with a variety of displays, both are in downtown Harrisburg. (http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/toursWelcome.cfm and http://www.statemuseumpa.org/).

4. There is the Whitaker Center, which has the Harsco Science Center (many hands-on exhibits) and an IMAX Theater (Harrisburg). (www.whitakercenter.org/science/index.asp).

5. Strawberry Square has some retail shops and a food court area which would be a good place to get lunch. (http://www.strawberrysquare.com/)

Edited: 14 June 2010, 01:53
Mentioned in this post
Harrisburg
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
Susquehanna
Susquehanna
Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks with parents

This is somewhat off topic for our forum, but in Florida I would recommend the Orlando area/Disney World. Another place I like in Florida is St. Augustine. It has an interesting history and a variety of attractions.

Since you have a lot of time you might consider a long road trip. Last summer we did a great road trip up through NY State to Niagara Falls and then Toronto. Corning, NY is an interesting stop for the Corning Glass Museum. You could spend several days in the Finger Lakes region.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Corning
Corning
Finger Lakes, NY
Philadelphia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks with parents

Thanks for all the advice, and sorry for the late replay. I think we'll check out Harrisburg, it sounds fun. As for the train to Florida, I had no idea that it was 24 hours haha. Could be quite an adventure, but flying sounds like a better plan.

Mentioned in this post
Harrisburg
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
Florida
Florida
United States
Downingtown...
Level Contributor
306 posts
462 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks with parents

If you are thinking of Harrisburg, Hershey is very close too. Hershey Park, Chocolate Factory, Spa at Hotel Hershey, and the town is very quaint. The Hershey outlets are right beside the park as well.

Mentioned in this post
Harrisburg
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
8. Re: 3 weeks with parents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 05:16