We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities for kids in the Philadelphia area

Caesarea, Israel
Level Contributor
156 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Activities for kids in the Philadelphia area

Other than the obvious, Franklin Institute, National Acad. of Science, Zoo, Aquarium, Please Touch...can any one suggest any more off-beat things to do with the kids in the Philadelphia area?

Philadelphia, PA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities for kids in the Philadelphia area

Not knowing the ages of your chidren makes this a little difficult, but here goes: The Mutter Museum in the College of Physicians, a small museum of medical anomalies located on 22nd St in Center City, not far from the Parkway. Reading Terminal Market - a great breakfast/lunch experience and even the pickiest of eaters can find something. Bassets ice cream provides the perfect finish. People watching a definite plus here.

Continuing with ice cream theme, try Capogiro at 13th & Sansom for a compare and contrast and More Than Just Ice Cream on Locust St between 11th & 12th. Turn your kids into food reviewers!

For older kids, Old City also has a lot of cool galleries along 2nd and 3rd Sts along with a cool music store AKA Music right near Christ Church and further up the street the Clay Studio has an amazing ceramic/glass mosaic hallway that never fails to astound. Also it's right near Elfreth's Alley - a small historic jewel.

For younger kids there are also some small playgrounds in the city where they can get their ya-yas out, the one at 11th & Lombard comes immediately to mind.

Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities for kids in the Philadelphia area

For the kids and grown-ups, too, a trip to the Zoo would be complete by riding the rebuilt PCC II trolley cars along route 15 (Girard Avenue) which serves the Zoo at the congested intersection of Girard Avenue, 34th

Street, and Lansdowne Drive.

Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities for kids in the Philadelphia area

In what month will you be visiting?

Sellersville, PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities for kids in the Philadelphia area

I always took my kids on an annual trip to Philadelphia from our home in the suburbs. In addition to the things already listed, they also enjoyed eating in Chinatown. The Liberty Bell is enjoyable to older kids, as well. There is a US mint location in Philadelphia and tours are offered. See www.usmint.gov and click on the link to "Tours". When you talked about "off-beat" things, I thought of the tour of the Eastern State Penitentiary--probably not for younger kids, but older kids might enjoy seeing incarceration methods from the early days. The prison is no longer in operation, but is a historical tour of early corrections methods.

Sellersville, PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities for kids in the Philadelphia area

Just thought of another item . . . although I've never toured it, there is an aquarium which gets good reviews in Camden, across the Delaware River. I believe you can access this section of Camden by boat from the Philly side. Other respondents may be able to give you more details regarding the aquarium and the boat connection!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Activities for kids in the Philadelphia area

Some things not previously mentioned. You could head over to Smith Playground. A very unique playground in Fairmount park. They have a great wooden slide that is sure to bring hours of enjoyment. You could head to Penn's Landing and tour the submarine and battleship there or head over the bridge to Camden and tour the SS New Jersey. The Camden Aquarium is also there. If you have little ones, the Please touch museum is a good place to go.

Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities for kids in the Philadelphia area

Everyone,

The poster asked for recommendations for places OTHER than the obvious;

Franklin Intstitute

Academy of Science

Zoo

Aquarium

Please Touch

etc.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Activities for kids in the Philadelphia area

Fireman's Hall (Second Street in Old City) is the City's museum of firefighting. It has old equipment, vehicles, illustrations, photos and more, housed in a 19th Century firehouse.

Mummers' Museum (2nd and Washington) has costumes and other things related to mummery.

The University Museum (Spruce and 33rd Streets) is the museum of archeology and regularly has children's programs on the weekends

The Arden Theatre in Old City has a children's series. My daughter really enjoyed The Dinosaur Musical.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
281 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Activities for kids in the Philadelphia area

I'm biased, as I'm from NJ, but the ferry trip from Penn's Landing to the Camden Waterfront might be nice - aside from the aquarium (which I personally liked better before the renovation, they seem to have gotten much too kitschy) there's a children's garden (a park for small children that includes a little train, a maze, a carousel, etc.), the battleship New Jersey (very cool), and a minor-league baseball stadium, which has a great view of Philadelphia and regular fireworks displays after games (if you're coming in the summer or fall)

http://www.camdenwaterfront.com/

A lesser-known museum suitable for children is the Liberty Museum at 321 Chesnut Street. Its mission is partly as an art museum (glass art), partly to promote tolerance, freedom and diversity. But it's not really that preachy, and it does feature jellybean sculptures. A very popular stop for school groups trying to cash in on the exhibits that explore immigration and examine peaceful conflict resolution.

http://www.libertymuseum.org/

In NJ, there's the Garden State Discovery Museum (infants - 10y/o)

http://www.discoverymuseum.com/

A little far away, but odd (and, I'm guessing, neat) is the Crayola factory in Easton (1.5 hours)

www.crayola.com/factory/index.cfm?mt=factory