We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Philidelphia area, how does this sound?

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 days in Philidelphia area, how does this sound?

HI there,

My husband and I are driving down from Toronto for a week in May. We will be leaving on a monday and arriving in Philly that night. I plan on booking the Sofitel or Palimar for 2 nights so we can be right in the action to see historic sites and enjoy some worldclass dining. Then I plan on booking 2 nights in King of Prussia so we can enjoy some shopping (I have lost 100 pounds so can't wait to hit the malls and outlets!).

Here are my questions:

1) Is allday tuesday and wednesday enough time to see the sites (reading terminal market, Liberty bell, Art museum)?

2) For shopping we want to hit the King of Prussia mall as well as the Philidepphia prime outlets. I also wanted to take some time and drive out to Amish country (Lancaster?) to enjoy the scenery.We might try to figure out a route back to Canada that takes us through that area on Friday. I guess I wanted to know if King of Prussia was the best place to book a hotel or is there something better? Also I am assuming KofP is a safe area, is this the case?

Thanks so much! I can't wait to visit your beautiful city!

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Philidelphia area, how does this sound?

You might want to visit Reading Terminal on Wednesday rather than Tuesday, since the Amish merchants are not there Sunday through Tuesday.

Toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Philidelphia area, how does this sound?

Thanks so much for that little tidbit! Appreciate it :)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Philidelphia area, how does this sound?

You can do King of Prussia Mall as a day trip from Philly. While there are hotels there, there is not much in the way of good restaurants,and you did mention wanting to experience world class dining. KOP is about a 30-40 min drive from Center City depending on traffic. KOP is a safe area. It is basically a commercial center located at the intersection of several main roads. if you decide to stay in KOP you could do a side trip to nearby Valley Forge National Park.

Amish country can also be done as a longer day trip but if you can plan it for your drive home consider staying at a bed and breakfast farm. padutchcountry.com/lodging/lancaster-farm-st…

Edited: 09 March 2011, 15:25
Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,114 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Philidelphia area, how does this sound?

Whether you can cover the historicals in 2 days depends on how deep you want to dive. If you just hit the big ones, no problem, but if you want to get into the smaller sites as well I would recommend 2-2 1/2 days...

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Philidelphia area, how does this sound?

I'd allow another day in Philly if you are interested in more than just the historic district.

PA
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Philidelphia area, how does this sound?

I would stay another night in the city and also consider spending a night in Lancaster. KofP is a buisness/commercial center but does have some nice restaurants (not world class but nice). I would spend more time at the outlets than at the mall for the better deals, but that is just me! I live about 20 minutes from the outlets and since they have opened we have not been to the mall:)

Toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Philidelphia area, how does this sound?

Thank you for all of the replies. I have made a few changes to the trip. We will still be arrivng Monday but I think I am going to book at the Penn's View. Seems nice but still affordable. We will stay there for 3 nights and then head to the outlet mall on Thursday before heading to Lancaster for the night. We have alot of amish areas in Ontario so I don't want to spend alot of time looking around but figured it would be a nice starting point for our long drive home Friday. In Lancaster I am thinking of booking the Fulton Steamboat Inn (looks a little tacky but my husband wanted to go on a cruise so it might be a funny surprise for him). Also might stop at Dienners (sp?) for dinner on our way in to town.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in Philidelphia area, how does this sound?

Remember that Dienners stops taking customers at 6PM. (If you are in line by 6 they will seat you)

9. Re: 4 days in Philidelphia area, how does this sound?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 04:16