We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Philadelphia with a teenager....must dos?

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New york
Level Contributor
210 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in Philadelphia with a teenager....must dos?

Hi,

We are spending a weekend in Philly with our 14 year old daughter. Franklin Institute, independence hall and liberty bell on the agenda....any other "must dos", please let me know. Is there a good historical walking tour we should do perhaps? Also, we love good food, so any suggestions for where we should eat, please let me know.

Thanks!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Philadelphia with a teenager....must dos?

She might be a little old for the Franklin Institute. Consider the National Constitution Center instead. Also consider Museum of Art, especially the Perelman building where there are usually interesting exhibits of fashion/textiles. A tour of Eastern State Penitentiary is also unique and might appeal to that age. A walk down South Street might be interesting for her too.

check our FAQ for suggested restaurants. Max Brenners chocolate themed restaurant is popular with teens. Where are you staying?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
932 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Philadelphia with a teenager....must dos?

For walking tours, you can choose between a guided tour like those offered by Urban Adventures, www.philadelphiaurbanadventures.com/?aff=69, or a self-guided tour. ushistory.org has several suggested walks. (I'm having trouble accessing the site now, so I can't give you a link.)

New york
Level Contributor
210 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Philadelphia with a teenager....must dos?

Thanks. If nothing else, she will enjoy watching them dissect at the franklin institute! She is in 8th grade, and likes science. Staying at embassy suites

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,055 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Philadelphia with a teenager....must dos?

I don't recall any dissections at the FI, other than maybe for a school group.

There are some interesting exhibits on human biology though including the famous walk through Heart.

New york
Level Contributor
210 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Philadelphia with a teenager....must dos?

I had called. They do 2 dissections daily, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, it is either a sheep's eye or a sheep's heart.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in Philadelphia with a teenager....must dos?

Mutter Museum at the College of Physicians, 22nd & Market. All types of biological specimens & medical oddities

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend in Philadelphia with a teenager....must dos?

How much are you into history? Because another historic place to visit would be Christ Church. I really enjoyed seeing the pews where our founding fathers sat and the docents had some interesting stories to tell. After a short 'tour' of the church, we visited Christ Church cemetery (a few blocks distant from the church itself) where Benjamin Franklin is buried.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
167 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend in Philadelphia with a teenager....must dos?

For an 8th grader, I would recommend the Mutter Museum over the Franklin Institute.

jerilynne
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend in Philadelphia with a teenager....must dos?

One of my favorite places in Philly is Philadelpia's magic Gardens"-Philadelphiasmagicgardens.org(I think). It's an amazing outdoor-indoor(make sure you check out the basement)art installation made of mosaic tiles. One of the most unique places you'll ever visit. My 13yr old daughter loves it. It's a quick stop(no more than an hr or so) in a convenient location. There's also a Whole Foods market across the street if you need a snack break.

Edited: 25 March 2011, 02:49
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,769 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekend in Philadelphia with a teenager....must dos?

The Magic garden is a great idea, and you're only a few block from Jim's Steaks (4th & South) for a cheesesteak..