We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SEPTA info please!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
22 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
SEPTA info please!

Hello! we will be driving from lancaster to philadelphia... can someone tell me the best place to park my car in order to take the transit system for the day? we would like to park and then be able to take the rails/trolleys to reading market, the art museum, and the zoo. thank you so much for any help!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SEPTA info please!

Are you coming in for one day? First, that will be difficult to accomplish, the three attractions are not close, and the Zoo and Art Museum should be 1/2 days each. The zoo, while accessible, is not necessarily transit convenient, unless the Phlash shuttle is running. If you are only going to have one day I would focus on the Zoo, drive there, or Center City (drive or transit)

Also, depending on how many people, it may make more sense to pay for parking in the city instead of multiple train tickets.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SEPTA info please!

I was just at the zoo on Friday. Don't bother- the place is undergoing multiple renovations. Much of it was closed, including the a main bathrooms. They had four portapotties for the entire zoo. Your time would be better spent doing other things.

Also, our zoo is very small by modern standards. My house cat has more room to run than the zoo's jaguar. And I'm talking actual square feet, not proportional to size. Really, the jaguar had no room to run at all. None of the cats did. It was very sad.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SEPTA info please!

All 3 sets of bathrooms are closed? Can't imaging that.

Yes, our zoo is small, but I don't find it as dismal as Owlyn.

Unfortunately there is no where for them to expand to..

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
22 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SEPTA info please!

yes, unfortunately we only have one day for philadelphia. the big draw of the zoo was for the kids to ride the camels... i will have to call the zoo to find out if that is even open. thank you for the heads up concerning the renovations. as far as the art museum, we want to go there because our kids want to run the steps.

i noticed on septa's website, they have a great deal for a family... $28 for a one day unlimited pass... just trying to figure out the best course of action for us.

anything besides the zoo that is a must see/do? (for a family of 4- with 2 kids- 6 and 9 years old)

any recomendations about philadelphia straight from the experts would be greatly appreciated!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SEPTA info please!

Here's a list of the family oriented attractions tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20380-Philadel…

at your kids ages they may enjoy the Franklin Institute

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SEPTA info please!

The Please Touch Museum - a children's museum - is close to the zoo.

Or, if you're asking about alternatives in Center City, I'd suggest the Franklin Institute. One could feasibly make a day out of a trip to Reading Terminal, a walk up to the Art Museum for the steps (if you're not interested in the art itself), and a stop back at Franklin Institute. About 45 minutes of walking round trip.

You could find a SEPTA bus for part of that, but honestly I'm not sure you would find that convenient. Routes aren't well marked and schedules may be erratic.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SEPTA info please!

Where are you headed at the end of your day in Philly? That could make a difference in where you'd want to park to ride SEPTA into the city from a suburban station (which is what I infer you have in mind).

Some of the suburban parking lots fill up incredibly early on workdays. What day of the week will you be visiting?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SEPTA info please!

Your kids are too old for most of the Please Touch Museum. Right behind the Art Museum is the old Philadelphia water works. It's a really cool look at the early pumpling station.

Lynn

9. Re: SEPTA info please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 06:16