We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek restaurant

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Greek restaurant

Fellow foodies, I just wanted to let you know about an excellent Greek restaurant that was missed in past discussions. It is Zorba's Taverna at 2230 Fairmount Ave. My family stumbled onto it when the Art Museum Restaurant and cafeteria were closed and we wanted lunch nearby so we could return to the Museum. Very authentic (so says my Greek husband) and very good service. Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek restaurant

Thanks, Lynn for sharing your find with us - your food advice is ALWAYS appreciated! I love the whole entire Art Museum district for restaurants - it is a completely underrated part of Philly as far as the food goes, in my opinion.

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek restaurant

Suzanne,

I am always happy to talk food! Regarding the Art Museum area, you must be more familiar with it than I am. Other than London, Rembrandt's and Brigid's, what do you recommend? Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek restaurant

Lynn --

Those are three very good restaurants you just listed in the Art Museum area - and all very different. London is probably one of my all-time favorites for food, I don't get to recommend it alot, but the food is always good there. I just love Bridgid's as well - a great little local place.

Illuminaire (right on Fairmount Ave) is also a good stop, casual. They have really good brick-oven pizza. My husband had one of their pasta dishes once and it was good as well.

One place I would NEVER recommend is Jack's Firehouse. Been burnt there 3x over the years. Never had a good meal, coupled with lousy service. Friends of mine have said the same thing about the place. I think the chef rides on his supposed "celebrity status" as a chef.

I've only eaten there once, but had a lovely experience at the Rose Tattoo Cafe at 19th and Callowhill. The food was good and the atmosphere was really nice as well. I would like to go back soon, although I wonder how it is since chef Sean Weinberg left and opened his own place.

My husband and I went to Figs (on Meredith St) a few years back and remember that being good as well - it's a BYOB, if I recall correctly. Simple and nice. Great fish.

There aren't a ton of choices in that general vicinity, but what is there tends to be good. And the parking is reasonable. Coming from the 'burbs, I'm always one looking for the reasonable parking prices (more $ to spend on dinner!)

Fairmount City...
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek restaurant

emwimom,

I absolutely agree,

Zorba's is an awesome place to eat,great staff, talented chefs, friendly atmosphere, never been disappointed in all these years!

I also enjoy my visits to London, Aspen Tavern, Brigids, Figs for the byob and moroccan fix. Haven't been back to Rose Tatoo since college days( 2 of their alumnis openned Standard Tap @Northern Liberties and the crooked frame cofee cafe at Fairmount area.)Am still waiting for a simple Italian byob to open in the area.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek restaurant

Thanks for the info!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greek restaurant

We also stumbled upon Aspen and found it to a nice bar with good food (at 25th and Aspen, about 1/2 block up from Figs). I'm glad to see someone else liked it. Friends in the area say Rembrandt's is also good, but I've only been there for a large party, which was very good.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Greek restaurant

Jacks is horrible, I totally agree with the poster who said the same. Love London. Illuminare is just ok, not worth the trip if you ask me. Rose Tatoo: been going there for years, never had a bad meal. Ignore the early 70's interior, which is bad. The food is always well prepared, with friendly service. Also McCrossans for great burgers.

NJ
Level Contributor
84 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greek restaurant

Love Greek food. Thanks for the tip!!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply