We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday night restaurant

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
895 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday night restaurant

Hi there. We'll be in Philadelphia the weekend of 24th and 25th September. We have a reservation at Kanella for the Saturday evening - they are not open Sunday evenings - and that got me thinking that other places may not be open for dinner on Sunday either.

Are there any restaurants you would recommend that have a good atmosphere on a Sunday evening, and good food of course ;-). My partner is not a big seafood fan and has more conservative food tastes whereas I'm more likely to choose something I may not have eaten before. Our budget is $$ rather than $$$ or $$$$.

It crossed my mind that maybe we should have a leisurely lunch rather than dinner and just have something quick later in the day, but your advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday night restaurant

Most restaurants are open on Sunday. What kind of food do you like?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
895 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday night restaurant

Hi Olwyn - we like most things I suppose as long as it's not too fancy. My partner wouldn't enjoy sushi or shellfish. We'd be looking for somewhere more casual than very formal fine dining (which I guess out budget wouldn't stretch too anyway!). We're having Greek food on the Saturday, so a contrast for the Sunday could be good.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday night restaurant

Its rare for restaurants to be closed on Sunday- usually if they are closed any night of the week it's Monday. I actually prefer dining out on Sunday night because the city is less crowded.

As to your choice of Kanella for dinner- its a great restaurant and I'm sure that you will like it but has your dining companion looked at the menu? There's quite a bit of seafood on the menu and I would say its more of a menu for adventurous eaters.

As for your casual meal on Sunday, how about a traditional pub such as McGillins? http://www.mcgillins.com/

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
895 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday night restaurant

Hi rocknroll52 - he eats fish, he just wouldn't want to eat it raw and he doesn't like shellfish! We eat at a local Greek place quite frequently here, although Kanella looks more a bit more adventurous. A pub may do the trick - the menu looks pretty varied; thanks for this suggestion. Okay, how about I tweak the question a bit: what's you favourite restaurant in our price range in Philadephia? With websites and online menus, I could then check out any recommendations.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday night restaurant

Aside from the pub idea, I think I would recommend La Viola for you . It's a moderately priced, cash only BYOB Italian restaurant, with a nice atmosphere. http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-viola-philadelphia

If it were me, I'd go to Chinatown, but that might not be so good for your nonadventurous friend.

You can also look at our FAQ: Favorite Restaurants, top right, for a selection of restaurants that our local destination experts enjoy.

I assume you knew that Kanella was BYOB also?

Edited: 13 September 2011, 13:00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
895 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday night restaurant

rocknroll52 - We'd welcome your Chinatown recommendations. In fact just the other day he said we should have Chinese food as it was supposed to be very good in the States. I'll have a look at Viola's menu. I'll also have a look at FAQ on favourite restaurants. Many thanks.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday night restaurant

Here's a list of my personal favorites in Chinatown. tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20062-Philadel…

I'm sure others will chime in too.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,316 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday night restaurant

I'll add my Chinatown favorites:

Shiao Lan Kung

Ocean Harbour

Vietnam (the charbroiled chicken on rice vermicelli with a spring roll added is awesome!)

Also, in Old City there is Han Dynasty, an excellent Sezchuan restaurant.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday night restaurant

My new favorite in Chinatown is Charles Plaza.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
895 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday night restaurant

Thanks everyone; some interesting-looking suggestions - I'll let you know how we got on in a trip report.