We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Philly - Nightlife??

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Philly - Nightlife??

We'll be about a dozen guys mid twenties to early thirties travelling to Philly in December for a long weekend trip. We'd like some recommendations on the nightlife and best neighbourhoods to visit during the weekend (Mid December 2011). Planning on staying in Center City, location will depend on nightlife, all suggestions are welcome.

Also would like to know how long the ride is from Center City to Lincoln Financial Park/Wells Fargo Center by the Broad Street Subway line?

Thanks

Edited: 13 September 2011, 13:16
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,563 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Philly - Nightlife??

Go to Continental Mid Town (right in Center City). The rooftop bar is a cool and very popular place to hang out and have a drink. Half of it is enclosed and has a fireplace surrounded by couches. Old City is also great for bar hopping.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Philly - Nightlife??

What are your interests? Are you looking for clubs and lounges? Popular bars? Craft beer? Wine?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
8 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Philly - Nightlife??

If you're looking for cubs with great music and a good scene: Whisper or G Lounge. There is also a new club opening this week called Rumor.

Any of this three will be a great weekend crowd

If you are looking for a bar with good music, I would definitely recommend Ladder 15 or Public House.

The broadsteetbling getting in at city hall will take you no kore than 20 minutes depending on if you get an express train.

NJ
Level Contributor
800 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Philly - Nightlife??

I think the website is gophilla.com (use variations if I'm wrong). That had lots to do, updates, bar specials etc.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Philly - Nightlife??

that website is now called visitphilly http://www.visitphilly.com/

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
51 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Philly - Nightlife??

I would say Old City is your safest bet. Dozens of bars. Range from clubs, to sports bars, to irish pubs to towny watering holes. All are within a roughly 5 x 10 block area. Will easily entertain you for a night or two. If you want to check out another area, I would suggest Rittenhouse. A bit more upscale but plenty of action. In reality you're only a $6-$10 cab ride between any where in Center City so there are plenty of options.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Philly - Nightlife??

I am in your age deomgraphic and go out in Philadelphia most weekends. In the Old City area you can concentrate on the few blocks between 3rd and Market to Front and Chestnut. It's only about three big blocks, but there are 20 some bars and restaurants. Some of my favorites there are National Mechanics, Drinker's Tavern, Plough and Stars and Buffalo Billiards. It all depends on what you guys are looking for. You could bar hop in that area until you find a scene you like.

I would also recomend the Northern Liberties area up at 2nd and Germantown. Maybe a $10 cab from Old City. The Piazza is a newer development with an open courtyard surounded by shops, bars and resaturants. Across the street from the Piazza is Liberties Walk. There you can find El Camino which does great Tex Mex food and has a big tequila menu. That would be a good starting point. Get some food and a few drinks then head over to the Piazza then down 2nd st. There are great bars like the Standard Tap and a hip bowling alley North Bowl.

If you are looking to hit on college girls you could then head over to the area around 3rd and Spring Garden where you will find Finnegan's Wake, Buckhead Saloon and McFaddens.

If you are in town for two nights you could party one night in Old City and one in NoLibs. You should stay near Old City though.

Getting to a game I'd recomend a cab. If there is a group of you the subway will cost $2 each vs a $20 total cab ride. You don't have to walk out in the cold to and from the subway and post game the mobs of people trying to get on the subway can be annoying. The subway is a Philly experience though if that is what you are looking for.

Go Flyers!

8. Re: First time in Philly - Nightlife??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 20:18