We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

your favorite byob!

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
your favorite byob!

I love going to BYOB restaurants in Philadelphia. I prefer paying for food and not the mark up for wine. Let's tell travelers of our favorite BYOB restaurants. I will start with Modo Mio in Northern Liberties, a fantastic Northern Italian menu with a reasonable pris fixe. Neighborhood not as pretty or historic but safe to drive or take a taxi from the city.

I have a group of friends who meet every few months so I am looking for places that I haven't been. Where do you go?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: your favorite byob!

If you like Italian, you might try Salento, La Viola, or Branzino, all are a little more centrally located and might be easier to get to than Modo Mio.

A little pricier, Kanella (Greek) and Matyson (American) are both excellent.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: your favorite byob!

Had not heard of Solento but it looks promising. Our group has been to LaViola and Branzino. I love to sit outside at Mercado!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: your favorite byob!

If travelers are wondering about Philly and BYOB's here is a post from Chow Hound "Pennsylvania (statewide) has a limited number of liquor licenses, with the number available based on the population. Philadelphia has more restaurants than licenses, so if you want a license you need to buy it from a restaurant that is selling it or going out of business... price is $250,000 or so on the open market. So many restaurants open BYO and concentrate (and must make their profit) on the food.

Most people treat BYO for wine, some bring beer. A few places (e.g. Lolita) sell homemade margarita mix and you bring your own Tequila. Otherwise generally people do not bring their own cocktails, but I suppose nothing stopping you from bringing liquor mini bottles and getting the mixers from the restaurant. The PA state stores have a moderate selection of miniatures and pints available."

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: your favorite byob!

Chloe in Old City is excellent.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: your favorite byob!

I like La Viola, Matyson and Branzino. I keep wanting to try Modo Mio and Radicchio Cafe...

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: your favorite byob!

And how could I forget Mr Martino"s Trattoria - great food as well!

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: your favorite byob!

Raddichio is really good, they just don't take reservations so I suggest going during the week. Cucina Forte is as South Philly as you can get. Reasonably priced and "mama" is often greeting customers. Home made gnocchi...great "gravy". Last time that I went to Bistro LaBaia they had the best grilled calimari as an appetizer. Trio in Fairmount is good too. 3 levels so you can find quiet place to talk.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: your favorite byob!

Caffe Casta Diva often gets unfairly overlooked for BYO Italian. It's more straightforward and less wow-ing kind of place but I like it better than Salento. And it's generally possible to get in on a weekend night.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: your favorite byob!

Any suggestions for BYO in the suburbs? I'm trying Alfredo this weekend. http://www.alfredobyo.com/

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: your favorite byob!

Which burbs?