We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Philly for Easter...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Philly for Easter...

Then we'll have 4 days to do anything with. We'll be staying in the city to celebrate the holiday with our two college-aged daughters. But afterwards, we wanted to do at least one day trip with our 9 yr. old; Hershey? Gettysburg? Lancaster? Mountains? (We're from Chicago so mountains are "cool"). Then back to Philly and maybe hit the Wyeth exhibit, see the "reproduction" Rodin's. Cheese steaks? We've been to the city before, and done the historical downtown with independence hall, etc.. Suggestions?

Philadelphia, PA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Philly for Easter...

You might want to check Hershey Park's website to make sure the park is open around that time. I do know Chocolate World (at least) is open all year round but that'll only entertain you for 45 mins (1 hour max). You could then (since you're in the area) do some tax-free shopping at the Outlets in Lancaster I guess?? Hershey also has a spa which I hear is very good (if you wanted to do that). If you're a flower buff, I suggest Longwood Gardens (http://www.longwoodgardens.org) - a horticultural display garden. If you wanted more history, Valley Forge (http://www.valleyforge.org/) is also a good place to visit. Spring time really doesn't have much activity in the Poconos (Mountains) since there's no more snow, but you want to check out http://www.800poconos.com/ to see if there might be anything going on. If all else fails and you still need ideas, visit www.gophila.com for some sample itineraries. Hope this helps!

Sellersville, PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Philly for Easter...

Agree with the above post, except for the line about "tax-free" shopping in Lancaster outlets. Last time I was there, they charged 6% sales tax on all non-grocery and clothes purchases, just like everywhere else in the state! So, tee towels, cooking utensils, books, are all taxed; jeans, shoes, underwear, bread, pretzels are not!

All of the above can be purchased in Lancaster outlets such as Tanger or Rockvale complexes!

harrisburg, pa
Level Contributor
158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Philly for Easter...

Pennsylvania does not have a tax on clothing.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Philly for Easter...

According to their website Hershey park is open April 14, 15, 16 only. don't know if one of those dates was a day you could attend. See www.hersheypa.com/attractions/hersheypark/. If you can, your 9 year old would enjoy Hershey. Back in Philly don't miss the Franklin Institute--my kids all love it (ages 14,11,8). The early spring is not the best time to visit the mountains, butif you want there is a new indoor water park- Great Wolf in the poconos that a 9 yearl old would love and would also get you into the mountains for a drive.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Philly for Easter...

forgot to mention that great wolf lodge water park is only open to guests of the lodge, so only an option if you want to do an overnight out of philly. I haven't been in years but there is Crystal Caves near Kutztown which may fascinate a city kid from IL