We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping between DC & NYC

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Camping between DC & NYC

I am looking for a place to camp that is equadistant to DC and NYC (closer to DC if anything). I am a tent camper and I prefer secluded, wooded sites where you aren't right on top of your neighbors.

Hiking trails are a must and a lake or beach nearby would be nice. We are also looking to camp in the month of August so finding a place where we won't roast during the day is ideal.

We would also like to be able to bring our dog along with us.

I know this sounds like a lot of perameters, but any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping between DC & NYC

Is it just distance that matters, or do you need to be able to day trip to both cities. There are some locations in mid-west PA that might work (although they may be closer to NYC than DC depending on routing)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping between DC & NYC

I've done a fair amount of tent camping in PA state parks. Many allow dogs.Check this site for locations and see if any will work for you. www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/index.aspx

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping between DC & NYC

I am coming from DC while my friend will be coming from NYC. I am just looking to make the drive not bad for one person. No day trips necessary.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping between DC & NYC

This one might be a little closer to NYC, but I liked it when I stayed there some years ago..

http://www.jimthorpecamping.com/

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
494 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping between DC & NYC

Have a look at French Creek State Park, in PA. It is a bit west of Philadelphia. It has good reviews here on TA, though I haven't camped there.

State Parks are usually pretty quiet, even though the sites may be close together. "Camper trash" - yahoos who don't realize how far a voice will travel, etc. tend to choose private campgrounds that provide game/TV rooms, laundry facilities, etc.

Edited: 19 March 2012, 01:23
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping between DC & NYC

Try Lake Nockamixon State Park. It is near Doylestown, PA

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping between DC & NYC

Some of the New Jersey State Park campgrounds allow pets:

state.nj.us/dep/…camping.html

PA
Level Contributor
377 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping between DC & NYC

I think Elk Neck State Park in Maryland, which is at the very top of the Chesapeake Bay, could work for you. I really liked tent camping there and would meet all your listed requests. It would be 2 hours from DC and 3 hours from NYC.

9. Re: Camping between DC & NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2013, 09:24