We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Got Back from The Barnes

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Just Got Back from The Barnes

We had free tickets for today, so we took a look at the new Barnes. It is as if they took the inside of the old building and plopped it inside a new shell. Display of the art is true to the former location.

I found a 3 hours spot on directly across the street on the Parkway ($6.00 meter fee, which is better than the $15 charge to park in the Barnes' small parking lot.)

Good luck finding the entrance. There are no signs pointing the way and no visual clues as you approach the building. The ticket office is in a small separate building, again, unmarked. The small grounds are nice enough, but not really conducive to be used for anything. The bathrooms are downstairs, and , again, no signs pointing the way. Once inside the ladies room, women are met with a line of floor-to-ceiling doors. What's behind them? Something? Someone? Men are similarly greeted but have the fortune of having urinals, which takes some of the guesswork out. The interior of the stalls have their own mysteries, but I won't spoil the surprises. I will caution, however, that if one is wearing light colored clothing, stand back from the faucet when you activate it. Also, the soap lever pulls at an awkward angle, and definitely stand to the side when you place your hands in front of the hand dryer. The air blows sideways such that if you are standing in front of it, you will have the water from your hands blown onto your light-colored clothing.

There is a nice special exhibition area, which is not part of the timed galleries. As you enter, there is a portrait immediately on the left of Dr. Barnes by Di Chirico, which is very interesting, as he was not a portrait painter. The portrait was not displayed at the old Barnes.

Our tickets were for 2:30, but that just got us into the building. You then had to get another timed ticket to enter the galleries. You had one hour to visit the galleries, but you didn't find this out until the 10 minute warning. Some signs indicating such would have been nice.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Got Back from The Barnes

Forgot to mention- first Sunday of the month is free, but advance reservations are required.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Got Back from The Barnes

From everything I have heard they just weren't prepared for the huge scale up as compared to Merion (they pretty much admitted as such on the news after a ticket foul up). But I did get the feeling they are working on issues as they can.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Got Back from The Barnes

Thanks for the report. I never saw the Barnes collection in its original home, but I hope to get to the new building one of these days.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Got Back from The Barnes

so where is the entrance to the building?

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Got Back from The Barnes

If I told you where the entrance is, it would take all the sport out of it. Okay, okay...it's in back of the building on the 20th Street side

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Got Back from The Barnes

thanks I am supposed to go on Sunday. I reserved the free tickets a while back- I thought they were going to mail them but I never received them. Did you have to pick them up at will call?

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Got Back from The Barnes

We were told to pick ours up at will call, and we ordered a week or so in advance That worked perfectly. Didn't even need our confirmation code. I'd call them to be sure.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
361 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Got Back from The Barnes

Thanks for the report on the Barnes. I loved the old location. I will be in Philly later this month and hope to check out its new location. If you want tickets for a day that requires an entrance fee, is your time in the galleries still limited?

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Got Back from The Barnes

I think it depends on how crowded it is. Your best bet is to call and ask.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Got Back from The Barnes

Thanks for your report, Owlyn. I purchased a membership but probably won't have a chance to get down there until some time this summer. With luck, they will have worked out some of the bugs by then.

I liked seeing the collection in its "real" home, & I was opposed to the move (not that anyone asked my opinion). Now I'll be interested in seeing how the new location compares to the original.