We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best Philly bars for craft beer

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlottesville
Level Contributor
331 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
best Philly bars for craft beer

I'm planning a trip to Philly later this summer and wanted to get some suggestions for the best high-end craft beer bars we should make sure to hit. I'm particularly interested in bars that have great beers on tap, and if anyone knows of any bars that regularly have Russian River on tap, like Pliny the Elder or Pliny the Younger, I'd be very interested in hearing which ones they are. I otherwise generally like any bars that have a lot of good IPAs, Belgians, and stouts on tap, but extensive bottle lists are also good. Thanks!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best Philly bars for craft beer

Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger are going to be difficult to find. Your best bet is to check out http://www.phillytapfinder.com/ while you're here to see if Pliny's on tap. That website is also a decent reference for craft beer bars around the city.

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
331 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best Philly bars for craft beer

thanks, that's a good suggestion - i'll definitely check that as i get get closer to my travel dates, whenever that is. any other suggestions for good beer bars in general? it doesn't have to be russian river - any good beer bars will do!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best Philly bars for craft beer

Good Dog Bar in Center City, Standard Tap in Northern Liberties and Frankford Hall in Fishtown.

Devil's Den, South Phila Tap Room, American Sardine Bar, Pub on Passyunk East, Birra, Royal Tavern and Stateside all in South Philadelphia.

Plus here's another website to browse:http://philly.thedrinknation.com/bars/search

The top of the home page has a way for you to check out Happy Hour specials by the day.

Also a local brewery that has tours:http://www.yardsbrewing.com/visit-yards

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best Philly bars for craft beer

In addition to those mentioned by pookala above, I'm also partial to Varga bar at 10th and Spruce, Tria at 12th and Spruce, Philadelphia Bar and Restaurant which is on Market between Front and 2nd, Race Street Cafe at 2nd and Race, and Khyber Pass Pub on 2nd Street just north of Chestnut.

Philly's a great beer city. We've named quite a few options, but there are many many more out there.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best Philly bars for craft beer

while by no means comprehensive, check out my list here tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19706-Philadel… my beer lovers list here

I would highly recommend that you subscribe to Joe Sixpacks weekly newsletter to see up to date recommendations of special beers on tap at local bars

Edited: 12 June 2012, 22:48
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best Philly bars for craft beer

Tria has Russian River on draft currently.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best Philly bars for craft beer

Twisted Tale, on 2nd Street between Lombard and South usually has an interesting selection.

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
365 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best Philly bars for craft beer

Another great link, Pookala! I love the drinknation site you mentioned, especially being able to check out the variety of happy hour options near our hotel. Thanks a bunch!

ee

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best Philly bars for craft beer

Ecclectic - So glad you like drinknation's site. My favorite thing about it is you can search by day. Finding Sunday Happy Hour deals can be a daunting task.

Have a good trip!

10. Re: best Philly bars for craft beer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 07:41