We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip on Thursday

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
day trip on Thursday

On Thursday we are playing hookie from work and driving up to Philly for the day. We are looking to spend our time in a hip urban part of town that has vintage shops and tredy restaurants.

Where do we park? We plan to spend most of the day on foot but would prefer a parking garage that is not too far away.

Our general interests- vintage/thrift, used bookstores, wine, local culture, art galleries, independent films, trendy restaurants/no chains (also cheap but interesting+vegetarian options).

We do not keep a tight schedule so we might find ourselves in a coffee shop or wine bar with outdoor seating and good people watching.

Thanks!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip on Thursday

I think you would enjoy South Street. I would recommend you visit The Magic Garden http://www.philadelphiasmagicgardens.org/ and then walk east on South St.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,132 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip on Thursday

Vintage shops:

South Street area:

Wilbur Vintage, 716 S 4th St

Decades Vintage, 739 S 4th St

Old City Area (historic area):

Sazz Vintage, 38 N. 3rd St

There are others, but these are the closest to where you want to be.

Your best bet is to park at the Philadelphia Parking Authority garage, on 2nd STreet, between Chestnut and Walnut (entrance is on the left), $18/day. You can walk everywhere from there.

Lots of bars/restaurants near the garage- check out the area from Chestnut to Market, 2nd to 4th.

Lots of galleries as well. Look on 2nd between Market and Race. You will be in the heart of the historic area (Independence Hall,, Libert Bell at 5th & Chestnut)

Hipper area would be Northern Liberties. You can take the El from 2nd or 5tyh & market to Girard, and then walk over to 2nd Street and turn left. Many hipster bars and restaurants.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip on Thursday

Thanks to you both for the help! I'm going to take this stuff with us when we drive up and I'm sure that will be enough to fill the entire day.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip on Thursday

Forgot to ask- I assume this parking garage is close to South Street?

What is the best way to get to the Franklin Inst. from there- driving over and parking or taking pubic transit?

We might be interested in seeing the Dead Sea scrolls.

We are coming from DC so we are used to city parking issues and public transit.

Thanks!

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,132 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip on Thursday

The garage is convenient to the historic sites as well as South Street. The Franklin Institute is about 2 miles west. You can take the 33 bus on Market Street. Fare is $2 person each way, exact money needed. You will need timed tickets for the Dead Sea Scrolls, and it takes a good 90-120 minutes to go through the exhibit. Probably too much for a short visit.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip on Thursday

I think we are going to skip the museum since the trip will be so short. Thanks for the tip about the garage- I got back on here to get the address for the GPS tomorrow morning.

7. Re: day trip on Thursday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 05:17