We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need vaca ideas to replace my Sandy-cancelled trip!

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Worcester...
Level Contributor
50 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
Need vaca ideas to replace my Sandy-cancelled trip!

Hi all,

Looking for some ideas for a January 2013 vacation for 2, flying out of Philly. Had a fun vacation planned to Vegas over Halloween, but the hurricane ruined it, so we had to cancel and get a refund.

Looking for 4-5 days away. Islands/Carribean is the main interest now. Already been to Mexico. Any crazy good deals anyone can share? We like the beach, but enjoy some excursions/history/sightseeing too.

Thanks!

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,835 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need vaca ideas to replace my Sandy-cancelled trip!

Not much in the way of sightseeing, but Aruba is a great beach destination. You would want to stay in the high-rise area. A visit to the Aloe factory is interesting, and the rocky beaches on the north side of the island are also worth a visit.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need vaca ideas to replace my Sandy-cancelled trip!

Check cheapcaribbean.com, also travelzoo.com

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
690 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need vaca ideas to replace my Sandy-cancelled trip!

Why not call a travel agent and look at Apple Vacations. Just a thought.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
444 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need vaca ideas to replace my Sandy-cancelled trip!

I realize you said you've already done Mexico, but what part of the country? A great idea might be to stay at either Cancun or Cozumel (I love Cozumel!). You can then rent a jeep and travel down the mainland (from Cozumel, you'll have to take the ferry to the mainland) and visit the ruins of Tulum (bring your bathingsuit and going swimming down below the cliffs). There's another ruin off a side road on the way to Tulum (the name has slipped my mind). Cozumel has some small ruins as well on the island - it's where the Mayans would come to worship their god of fertility. You can do this on a daytrip. There are also flights to Chitzineza (sp?!), the huge Mayan ruin, that you can take. You leave around 8am in the morning and get back around 2pm. It includes your flight and a tour guide at the ruins (the flight is about a half hour). It cost something like $110 when we went around 15 years ago. A fantastic experience! As you know, your money goes far. Just a thought.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
444 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need vaca ideas to replace my Sandy-cancelled trip!

You can't go wrong with an Apple trip either. GREAT prices and good deals!

Worcester...
Level Contributor
50 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need vaca ideas to replace my Sandy-cancelled trip!

Thanks for the tips. I typically don't use travel agents and go by the respected first-hand reviews on Trip Advisor, but I'm always open to find the best trip/deal

@GwenP- Thanks for your suggestions. I went to Cancun in 08. Stayed at the Marriott, which was wonderful. We rented a car one day and drove to Chichen Itza (and were kindly stopped by the border guards complete in fatigues and machine guns as we passed out of Quintana Roo, who searched our car- scary!)

It was nice overall, but any place out of the resort was dicey. I'm going to check out Apple and see what they have to offer.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
444 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need vaca ideas to replace my Sandy-cancelled trip!

How about Puerto Rico? Nice beaches, good amount of history and not too far away.

8. Re: Need vaca ideas to replace my Sandy-cancelled trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2013, 10:16