We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best family hotel for visit to Please Touch Museum

New Jersey
Level Contributor
127 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best family hotel for visit to Please Touch Museum

Planning a trip to the PT Museum with our 4, 2.5 and 1 year olds. Looking for a family-friendly suites hotel that offers a hot breakfast and pool. Flexible on budget.

Thanks!

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
#2 of 89 hotels in Philadelphia
Chestnut Hill Hotel
Chestnut Hill Hotel
#4 of 89 hotels in Philadelphia
The Windsor Suites
The Windsor Suites
#7 of 89 hotels in Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best family hotel for visit to Please Touch Museum

I would suggest the Embassy Suites …hilton.com/en/…index.html

Although it does not have a pool, it meets your other requirements. There are no suites hotels in Philadelphia that have a pool and free breakfast that I am aware of.

The Embassy Suites is a short drive to the Please Touch Museum and is walkable to Academy of Natural Sciences which would also be good for your kids ages.

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best family hotel for visit to Please Touch Museum

Have you looked at the FAQs on where to stay? (The FAQs are on the right side of the page on the desktop version of TA, not the mobile version.) The first article has a good breakdown of different areas of the city. The second article, on family travel, lists Center City hotels to consider, with details about pools and breakfast. Some of the non-suite hotels do have some suites.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-c116523/Philad…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-s401/Philadelp…

New Jersey
Level Contributor
127 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best family hotel for visit to Please Touch Museum

Just got a rec for the Homewood Suites...is this a good choice? Thanks!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best family hotel for visit to Please Touch Museum

Homewood Suites is technically a Philadelphia address but is not located in Center City. If you don't mind not being in Central Philadelphia it could work. Recent reviews seem OK though I recall when I last researched it several people had complained about mouse problems as well as that the parking area is not near the hotel.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60795-d4832…

Edited: 05 January 2013, 19:41
Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best family hotel for visit to Please Touch Museum

Which Homewood Suites are you looking at? There's the one on City Avenue that Rocknroll mentions above, and there's also a new Homewood Suites in University City. I've heard good things about the one in University City, and it has the amenities you want, but I would not recommend the location for a family in your situation.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best family hotel for visit to Please Touch Museum

Homewood suites in Univ City would be close to Please Touch. Families who have children in Children's Hospital stay there and have recommended it highly. Univ of Penn Police patrol the area on Bicycles. I wouldn't wander around late at night but with little kids you will probably have them in bed by then anyway.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best family hotel for visit to Please Touch Museum

The Homewood Suites University City is wedged between the University of Pennsylvania's campus and an area of West Philadelphia that remains somewhat distressed and has some problems with crime. The hotel is at 41st and Walnut Streets, which is inside the patrol area for Penn's police and security force (that zone extends west to 43rd Street). The police and security officers are a big and visible presence within their patrol zone, and in my opinion, they do a great job of both preventing and responding to crime, though some crime does still occur. I do walk around that area late at night, and I haven't had any problems.

Some people would find at least parts of the immediate area unattractive, and a young family might not like being in a neighborhood dominated by college students, who will be active and noisy late at night.

I would probably recommend the Homewood Suites in University City if you had a reason to be in that area -- for example, if someone in your family was being treated at one of the hospitals, if you were visiting a child at Penn, if you were young adults without kids who might enjoy the bars and restaurants in the area. But I just don't see any reason to stay at that location for a family with young kids whose purpose is to visit the Please Touch Museum. There are other hotels in more attractive, quieter, more family-friendly areas that are no less convenient to the museum.

By the way, I love the Please Touch Museum, and I think it will be great for your kids.

Mentioned in this post
Homewood Suites University City
Homewood Suites...
740 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
University of Pennsylvania
University of...
514 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best family hotel for visit to Please Touch Museum

Where did you end up staying? Did it work out for you??

Lawrence, New York
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Best family hotel for visit to Please Touch Museum

So Where is a good place to stay? I am going this winter and have a 6,5,3,and 1 year old?!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best family hotel for visit to Please Touch Museum

If you are ONLY doing the Please Touch, the Homewood suites as above are OK. Otherwise, stay wherever in center city that meets your interest/time/budget and either drive or transit out to the museum for the day.