We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Vermont to Virginia

Huntington, Vermont
2 posts
Save Topic
Traveling from Vermont to Virginia

My husband, three-year-old daughter and I are thinking of driving from Vermont to Virginia this summer. Since we don't want to drive the entire distance in one day, we thought we'd stop in Philadelphia since it will be a good halfway point. I'm looking for suggestions as to what a good hotel would be to stay in. Nothing too pricey, but nothing too cheap either. Since we'll be traveling on 95, it would be helpful to not have to travel too far from the interstate. Thanks!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Vermont to Virginia

There are quite a few options. Center City Philly is close to 95, so that should not be an issue. I am guessing you would like a pool since you have a child? Here are a few typically midpriced options to check out that have either indoor/outdoor pools - I also included ones that offer a complimentary breakfast:

Residence Inn Philadelphia (VERY small indoor pool/breakfast included)

Crowne Plaza Center City (outdoor pool)

Courtyard Downtown Philadelphia (indoor pool)

Doubletree Hotel Philadelphia (indoor pool)

Hyatt Regency at Penn's Landing (indoor pool)

Hampton Inn Philadelphia Convention Center (indoor pool/breakfast included)

Hilton Garden Inn Center City (indoor pool)

Sheraton Society Hill (indoor pool)

Holiday Inn Historic District (outdoor pool)

While I do recommend all of these hotels, my favorite place to stay in Philly is the historic district. Lots to see and do, huge restaurant scene and the exit for 95 is very close - the three hotels I would look into in that area from the above list are the Hyatt Regency, the Sheraton Society Hill and the Holiday Inn Historic District. Usually the Omni Independence Park is also a good choice, but I believe their pool is under currently construction and don't know if it will be up and running, depending on what your dates of stay are this summer.

If you are only coming for one evening, you might want to consider checking out Hotwire - many times I have been able to get great discounts on hotels in Philly - if you need help identifying hotels on Hotwire in Philly byb location and amentities, just let me know, more than happy to help.

Good luck!

Suzanne

Sellersville, PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Vermont to Virginia

If you want a bit of a break and your daughter enjoys Sesame Street, you may want to check out sesameplace.com. Sesame Place is a theme park just outside of Philadelphia in the I95 theater. All of hte Sesame Street characters are present along with rides and entertainment enjoyable to the toddler set. Just a possibility in which you might have interest! Lodging in the area--I'm really not sure, but I'm sure SP could give you some ideas!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Vermont to Virginia

If your 3 year old is anything like my kids then she'll need time on her feet, running around. Staying in the historic area puts you close to Independence National Park, which has several large lawns. Also, on the 300 block of Delancey Street in Society Hill is Three Bears Park, a lovely little playground for young children.

Lynn