We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ESTA question

Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
ESTA question

I appreciate that this isnt really a Philadelphia question. But as I am visiting Philadelphia I thought I would ask it here. My ESTA runs out on 4th May. My visit to Philadelphia finsihes on 6th April so in theory covers the time I am there. But is it a bit like passports where I should renew it with a bit more time?

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ESTA question

My understanding is that while ESTA may have a 2-year period of validity, you cannot use it to stay in the US longer than 90-days each visit. Stays longer than 90 days require a visa.

If your 90-day period expires on May 4 and you plan to return home on or about April 6, I am not even sure that you would be able to get an ESTA authorization beyond May 4. To seek one probably would raise suspicions about your intentions. Better to let sleeping dogs lie. If you plan to return, the online application and approval process is practically automatic anyway.

Perhaps others more expect than I will have a different take on it.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 02:41
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
864 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ESTA question

Hi there - I found this on the official website in the Find an Answer section:

How long is my ESTA approval good for?

Your ESTA authorization is generally valid for multiple trips over a period of two years (starting the date that you are approved) or until your passport expires, whichever comes first*. This means that as long as you received an ESTA authorization to travel, you do not have to reapply during the validity period. You may update your travel information; however this information is optional and is not required.

If your ESTA expires while in the US it will not affect your departure.

Edited: 02 March 2013, 15:20
Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ESTA question

Thank you.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ESTA question

ESTA allows you to travel to the USA by air or sea till the date of expiration. Does not matter when you leave again, well besides the max 90 days you can stay.

5. Re: ESTA question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 07:16