We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday afternoon Rush hour traffic

Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
631 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Friday afternoon Rush hour traffic

Hi, we're coming into central Philly Friday from the north ... & usually Rt.76 to 676 is ridiculous on previous visits (it's been over a year now) when we arrive between 3-4pm ish. We always hope to avoid the heaviest of the rush hour, but apparently this is the norm on Fridays?!? Since it would be hard for us to get there any earlier than this, would it be worse if we waited and tried to get thru this area say around 5 or 6pm ?? or better? We're not used to big city driving, so it makes us quite nervous. Just wondered if someone could offer any advice. Thanks!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friday afternoon Rush hour traffic

5-6pm is peak rush hour. You should avoid the main rush hour arriving 3-4pm, especially since its not summer (when people leaving early for their shore homes cause more traffic).

Edited: 27 February 2013, 19:48
Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
631 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friday afternoon Rush hour traffic

ok ....that's good to know ~ thanks so much!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
833 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friday afternoon Rush hour traffic

On Fridays anytime after 3:30 is a gamble. Where are you headed, there are alternate roads that may work for you.

Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
631 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friday afternoon Rush hour traffic

Ingram .... We are going to 6th and Locust (Washington Square area). If you can offer a suggestion for an alternate route, that would be awesome! After 8 hrs. on the road, we dread that last bit, esp. when not used to such traffic. I'd appreciate any ideas you might have!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
833 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friday afternoon Rush hour traffic

You can get off 76 at Conshohocken, take Ridge Ave down to Manayunk/Roxborough area. Then take the Kelly or West River drive down to Center City. If you want to give me your starting point zip code I could work on putting detailed directions together for you.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Friday afternoon Rush hour traffic

unless there is as major accident I would not deviate from your route for normal heavy traffic volume. There really are not good alternate routes from the direction you are coming as routes to avoid traffic are slower back roads for instance you can take route 23 from conshohocken to avoid major tie ups on 76E then get back on 76 at Belmont Ave or City Ave.

You can check traffic as you get closer to the city by tuning into KYW 1060 traffic every 10 minutes on the twos.

Edited: 28 February 2013, 12:49
Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
631 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Friday afternoon Rush hour traffic

Thanks guys for the advice. Although now I'm not sure what to do though, do you think it IS a good idea to get off at Conshohocken .. or not? As long as the directions are not too complicated, we might prefer to do that if you think it's a good idea. Would it be easy enough for us to follow? Oh, we are coming from south of Buffalo, NY .... zip 14787. We usually have an easy-breezy ride over to Binghamtom, then shoot straight down thru Scranton. That part has always been easy driving ... until we get close to Philly.

We always wish there was a "quieter" entrance into the city for us "hillbillies" (haha .... not really but we sorta feel that way once we're in that mass of traffic :) Anyway, once we finally make it down to Center City, we get off at 6th St. and sigh a relief .... as we don't mind driving along the city street where people aren't constantly cutting in and out at high speeds. OR ... stuck sitting in 6 lanes of traffic. It just never seems to be easy ... wish it wasn't always Friday afternoons that we arrive. Oh well, until the day our timing could change, this is what we deal with. So thanks for your suggestions .... Now I wonder if we should chance getting off at Conshohocken or just stay on 76 as usual ???? Thanks again for your input .... I truly appreciate your expertise!

Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
631 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Friday afternoon Rush hour traffic

Just talked this over with hubby ... he said we probably should just stick with our regular route as 'Rock' pointed out (unless major traffic which we will listen to on 1060). If there had been an easy alternative, then we would have tried it. But then we're not as familiar with those outskirt areas anyways, and do not have a GPS if we get lost. I guess we'll suck it up and stick with the tried and true. But didn't hurt to ask if there was an easier alternative ~ just in case we were missing something obvious. Thanks anyways guys!!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Friday afternoon Rush hour traffic

shtawkwa, I think that is really the best plan. Stay with your mapquest route. The rt 23 suggestion from conshy was merely to have as a backup plan if there is a huge delay on 76 because normally 76 is the quickest way into the city.

The traffic may be more than you are used to but it usually does move along unless there is an accident on the highway. (Now, I know you must be used to some amount of traffic if you have ever had to cross the border into Canada from Buffalo ... and from my recollection of sitting in that line of traffic at the border crossing I'd have to say Philly traffic is a breeze in comparison)

Edited: 28 February 2013, 16:06
Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
631 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Friday afternoon Rush hour traffic

Thanks Rock ... we'll stay with 'the plan' then. I'm sure we'll be fine. Btw, we live about 1 hr. south of Buffalo, and it's been about 20 years since we crossed the border into Canada! That was back in-the-day when you could just tell the border patrol where you were born, etc ... didn't even need to show documentation ... haha. Times sure have changed.

Thanks to all who contributed .... we're looking forward to visiting our son and enjoying a great weekend in Philly!!!