We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Downtown Philly

USA
Level Contributor
18 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Downtown Philly

Staying at Sheraton downtown (17th & Race) 4th of July.

- Would like to see the city on foot - have a kid, so can't go overboard & no museums; probably 4 hours.

- Looking for sculptures, unique architecture, street entertainers, shops.

~ And, for safety, it's just a mom and child, what areas should I avoid??

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,125 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Downtown Philly

There's sculpture all over. Be sure to check out Claus Oldenberg's "Paint Torch" at Broad & Cherry, outside of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts (A Frank Furness building).On the side of the same building, the Grumman Greenhouse (a grennhouse made from an old airplane). "Benjamin Franklin, Printer" on the plaza of the Municipal Services Building at 15th & Arch. Of course, there's the famous "LOVE" sculpture in the park at 16th & JFK Bld. Also see Oldenberg's iconic "Clothespin" at 15th & Market. Stop into The Comcast Center at 17th & JFK Blvd to see the video wall, and also be sure to look up while in the lobby to see the beam walkers.

That should get you started.

Edited: 11 June 2013, 11:35
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
75 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Downtown Philly

Hi! A few clarifications can help - You are only staying one night? And you only have 4 hours to tour? Is the no museum a personal preference? Budget restriction or because of your child? How old is your child?

4th of July there will be a large festival going on to celebrate: www.welcomeamerica.com/ - that night the action (concert and fireworks) will be at the steps of the art museum, a straightforward walk up the Benjamin Franklin Parkway from your hotel...

Love park is very close to your hotel with several outdoor/public sculptures (supersized game pieces) to view, as well as a walk around and into the courtyard of city hall (daytime walking) - and you're a few blocks up from Chinatown which is also a fun place to walk around and has a beautiful street arch (10th street) - the old city historic area is likely too far to walk with a child but it is very nice to stroll through Old City even without entering any sites officially - also, a little outside of the center city area is a museum just for children: the Please Touch Museum as well as the Philadelphia zoo and the two children-geared museums only a block or so from your hotel, the Franklin Institute and Academy of Natural Sciences - I know you said no museums but perhaps that was no boring history/art adult museums so thought I would mention the child-centered options just in case!

Hope that helps - enjoy your stay in Philly!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Downtown Philly

there is an audio guide to the outdoor sculpture along the benjamin franklin parkway. museumwithoutwallsaudio.org/interactive-map/

This might be doable before people start congregating for seats for the concert and fireworks. I would not recommend the concert with a child, though you didn't say what age. When large crowds of inner city residents congregate for a concert on a hot summer night there is the possibililty for violence. Last year there was a shooting in the vicinity of the concert.

Other locations I would suggest visiting on foot are the video wall at the Comcast Center visitphilly.com/museums-attractions/…

Reading Terminal Market http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/

Rittenhouse Square visitphilly.com/museums-attractions/…

Of course, there is also the historic area near Independence Hall. I don't know how much you can do on foot in 4 hours. There is also a hop on, hop off bus service that will give you an overview of the city in 90 minutes. http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/philadelphia/

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,079 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Downtown Philly

You'll have to look at the top of City Hall for the William Penn statue. This is where Pennsylvania got it's name. The William Penn one is on the very top. And Macys is in the Wanamaker Building [just East of City Hall] is worth a look inside and out visitphilly.com/shopping/… and www.visitmacysphiladelphia.com/history.cfm There is an eagle statue in the center court and if you stand by it's hiney, you can see the grand organ on floor 2. AFAIK, Macys will be open on July 4th. And if it's a typically hot July 4th an air conditioned indoor stop inside Macys, may be something you'll want ~ no surprise: there is a Starbucks inside it too. BTW, Wanamakers was one of the 1st US department stores

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Downtown Philly

I recommend the guided tour of Philadelphia CIty Hall, weekdays at 12:30 p.m. It's a magnificent Beaux Arts building covered with symbolic sculpture.

BTW, Pennsylvania was named by King Charles to honor Admiral SIr William Penn, the father of William Penn who founded the colony. William Penn simply wanted to call the colony Sylvania, which means woods. : )

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,079 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Downtown Philly

I learned ↑something↑ today

7. Re: Questions about Downtown Philly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 05:17