We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving west from Phila Airport---need advice

Kinsale, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving west from Phila Airport---need advice

Arriving Phila. airport and need to get to Hagerstown MD direction---Google advises 1. 95S around Baltimore to 70W. . . .or 2. up into PA and across via Harrisburg. . . just not sure which route is best re traffic/complexity etc. Will be jetlagged! Option 1. seems simpler but is the traffic around Baltimore terrible? Please help!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving west from Phila Airport---need advice

the route via PA is longer by 27 minutes/29 miles.

I would take the 95 S route, but check traffic before you leave to make sure there are no major tie ups.

What day of the week and time are you making this drive?

Kinsale, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving west from Phila Airport---need advice

a Monday afternoon in July. . . .flight arrives around 2:00 so on the road by 3:00 I imagine. . .

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving west from Phila Airport---need advice

If you are flying in from Ireland, there is NO way you will be on the road by 3:00.

Allow 30-120 minutes to clear immigrations and customs depending on how many flights are inbound at the same time. Then you will need to get a shuttle to the rental car facility and get your car.

4:00 is more likely, 5:00 is possible.

That means you will hit some rush hour traffic around Baltimore, so pay extra attention to traffic alerts if you can get them. If something is bad, the other route will be ok, but also may have traffic and construction issues...

If you will have data access, use google maps when you arrive to get travel estimates with real time data.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving west from Phila Airport---need advice

FYI There are US preclearance facilities at both Shannon and Dublin airports in Ireland, so if "Pamela O's" flight originates at either airport, she will not have to go through US Customs/Border Protection in Philadelphia. That will save quite a bit of time and she actually might be able to get on the road by 3 p.m. or so.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving west from Phila Airport---need advice

I knew the did immigration checks but hadn't realised customs pre-clearance was available for the last 2 years or so... That said, Dublin operates limited hours and I have heard those may be/may have been reduced due to the sequester as they are rotating agents to try to deal with congestion at main input points, so I might not depend on it.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,078 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving west from Phila Airport---need advice

Just a note. On I95 Southbound, outside Baltimore, by exit 67, just past where the speed limit drops from 65mph to 55mph, where the road is ripped up for repaving, there was a speedtrap Monday morning. The road is grooved & uneven, so it is difficult to be exceeding the limit.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,122 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving west from Phila Airport---need advice

I-95 above Baltimore is one big speed trap all the way to the Delaware border.

Kinsale, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving west from Phila Airport---need advice

Thank you for all advice: Re immigration---we will clear that at Shannon. . . re speed limit: my husband does not like to drive fast anyway in a rental car, on the opposite side of the road! He will no doubt hug the speed limit boundary anyway! We will keep track of traffic news and make our decision closer to the date.

9. Re: Driving west from Phila Airport---need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 05:17