We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Recco: Safe Parking for Car filled w/ College Move-in

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Recco: Safe Parking for Car filled w/ College Move-in

I need suggestions for a hotel in late August near Philly. We are driving our student to college and our Vehicle will be filled with things for move-in. Since we need to be in downtown Philly at 9AM close in to the city is better but, I've also heard that King of Prussia might be a good area (and then we'd get up super early with all the traffic). Any pointers or suggestions?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Recco: Safe Parking for Car filled w/ College Move-in

I think stopping in King of Prussia is a good idea. There is a giant shopping mall there as well, in case you need to buy any last minute supplies.

If I were you I'd plan to depart KOP on the early side (7:30am) to avoid rush hour and college move in traffic.

Edited: 25 June 2013, 13:14
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Recco: Safe Parking for Car filled w/ College Move-in

PS when you say "downtown Philly" which college are you referring to?

Edited: 25 June 2013, 13:16
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Recco: Safe Parking for Car filled w/ College Move-in

Penn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
498 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Recco: Safe Parking for Car filled w/ College Move-in

In the same neighborhood as U of P is The Sheraton University City location and The Inn at Penn. Not sure what availability & rates are but may be worth checking out.

Congratulations!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Recco: Safe Parking for Car filled w/ College Move-in

Penn is in the neighborhood we call "University City"

Another hotel that could work for you is Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, which is on City Avenue, just on the outskirts of Philly. I just am not sure about the parking lot safety issue. Your car could definitely be broken into on City Ave, but that is also not out of the question in KOP or in any hotel in University City for that matter.

If you have anything very valuable, like a TV, I would consider taking it inside the hotel with you, and definitely don't leave valuables in plain sight.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Recco: Safe Parking for Car filled w/ College Move-in

Perhaps the items would be more secure in a small Uhaul trailer, which you could pull behind your car.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,681 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Recco: Safe Parking for Car filled w/ College Move-in

You won't be able to park anywhere with a Uhaul trailer. Negotiating the narrow streets and traffic would also be a challenge.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Recco: Safe Parking for Car filled w/ College Move-in

If I had to leave a car packed full of stuff overnight, I would rather do it in King of Prussia than in University City or Center City. I agree with taking electronics and other valuables into the hotel with you.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,996 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Recco: Safe Parking for Car filled w/ College Move-in

Its worth noting there have been a higher than usual number of vehicle break-ins in the KOP area (most notably in mall lots) this past year or so. If the car is going to be loaded to the gills, I would consider finding a hotel that has its own garage indoors. May be more expensive, but for one night might be worth it.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Recco: Safe Parking for Car filled w/ College Move-in

Ditto for parking in the City. A garage is definitely preferable to street or lot parking.