We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phily airport and baggage problems

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boise ID
Level Contributor
16 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Phily airport and baggage problems

Although I travel quite a bit I've never been through the Philadelphia airport on US Air. We are departing there for Europe this September. I have heard from other travelers that this airport is not terribly user friendly and, in particular, US Air has had major problems handling luggage.

Anyone have any comments on this or are there some things we need to be prepared for that is out of the ordinary for navigating through airports these days?

Gary

Boise ID

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phily airport and baggage problems

Greasyregs, how would you define "user-friendly"? I've never had any problems getting around the airport. there are 6 terminals, A through F. Terminal F is relatively isolated but only short-route planes usually arrive there. You'll ultimately end up in terminal A as that is where international trips arrive and depart. The main food and retail areas are located between terminals B and C although each terminals has at least a few fast food places and newsstands. There are moving sidewalks to speed your trip between terminals as well. I don't think there is anything different now that hasn't already changed since 9/11.

As for US Airways specifically, my experience has been good overall. I do recall an infamous incident - a couple Thanksgivings ago maybe? - where the luggage system essentially shut down. I had one situation myself where the luggage of all the passengers was somehow left behind. To the airline's credit, they did put it on the next flight and had it sent over by taxi to my hotel.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phily airport and baggage problems

Oh, you may find www.phl.org useful as well.

Boise ID
Level Contributor
16 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phily airport and baggage problems

Thanks for your comments Tony. I'm glad to hear that from your perspective there is nothing exceptional about US Air and baggage handling.

"User friendly" is somewhat hard to define but I think that most of us know it when we experience it. I guess my definition can best be described by the airports that provide some degree of comfort, services, and ease of getting around - Seattle, Denver, Dulles, Portland.

Gary

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Phily airport and baggage problems

I flew US AIr to Europe in March with no problems.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phily airport and baggage problems

Greasyregs, I haven't had the opportunity to experience any of those airports as of yet... although Dulles is probably inevitable as I now live in the DC metro.

As far as larger airports go, my experience is mostly with Philadelphia, Newark, BWI, Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago O'Hare and San Francisco. I'd place Philly above all but Charlotte and Atlanta in my personal opinion. Of course, others' mileage may vary. : )

Tony