We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving inside post security Checks- PHL airport?

Denver, Pennsylvania
1 post
Save Topic
Moving inside post security Checks- PHL airport?

We have our parents coming to PHL, which is the US port of Entry. They are travelling by Lufthansa airways which will land in Terminal A west. From there they have a connecting flight PHL-MPLS from terminal D. I have also booked my tickets in the same flight from PHL to MPLS which will take off from Terminal D. SO my question is, I can be in early and after I have finished my security Check at Terminal D, Can I go to the Gate in Terminal A west in which my parents will arrive and wait so that I can guide them from there through to Terminal D? (My parents first time to US so I want to be there to help them through immigration and customs) I want to know is there a way so that someone go from terminals B,C, or D to Terminal A West (internaltional arrival) post security check without having to go through multiple security checks? Are all the terminals A,B,C,D,E interconnected?

Also, another way is I can get through Terminal A west, finish my security check there an wait and after that proceed to Terminal D along with my parents? Is it feasible to get through any security check at one terminal and proceed to another terminal?. I could do online checkin for my flight so that it would OK even if the my travelling flight ticketing counter is not in terminal A west.

Please suggest.

Edited: 01 July 2013, 07:51
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,132 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving inside post security Checks- PHL airport?

Yes, you can move from terminal to terminal after you clear security. In fact, a few months ago, we had a flight leaving from terminal B, but the line was so long (at least 30 minutes), we walked up to terminal A on the train platform. I had a hunch the line there would be shorter. There were two people in line. Terminal A security could be your best bet for a short line, but you never know.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving inside post security Checks- PHL airport?

Unfortunately you will not be able to help them with customs. From the plane they will go through a connecting tunnel directly to the immigration area, and there is no public access until after they clear (if you ask nicely you MAY be able to meet them at the customs baggage drop, but they have been pretty tough on that due to bag security.

After they clear customs they re-drop their bags and access the intl arrivals area, which is the first public access area. From there you re-clear security into the main airport complex.

You have two options. 1> Check in at D, clear security and come back airside and wait for them on the other side of D security. or 2> Check in at D to drop off your bags, then walk to the arrivals area via outside (the train platform is a nice connector as noted) and wait for them in arrivals, then clear security with them at A and then hike back to D. There is no internal A-D shuttle, but there are electric carts if the walk is too long.

3. Re: Moving inside post security Checks- PHL airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 06:18