We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheesesteak/Phillies Game/Ashburn Alley

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Cheesesteak/Phillies Game/Ashburn Alley

We are headed to a Phillies game next Tuesday and to combine a couple of things I want to get a cheesesteak at the game. There is a Tony Luke's and Campos on Ashburn Alley, either of which should do the trick.

I just want to make sure that understand Ashburn Alley. It is part of the stadium, correct? In other words I don't have to worry about "no reentry". I know I'm over thinking it.

By the way, great FAQ on cheesesteaks. I spent my freshman year at St. Joes and I'm devotee of Larry's, but it will be too far out of the way and too short a trip this time.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,402 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheesesteak/Phillies Game/Ashburn Alley

Correct. Ashburn Alley is the shopping and food area out by center field - there are also some kids games there and Bulls BBQ, plus some other venues around the stadium..

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
735 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheesesteak/Phillies Game/Ashburn Alley

If you've never had one you may also want to try a Schmitter, a cheesesteak variation available near the left field gate.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheesesteak/Phillies Game/Ashburn Alley

I hadn't heard of Schmitter until researching this trip, we will have to see if it fits in.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
735 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheesesteak/Phillies Game/Ashburn Alley

They're a bit smaller & are served on a kaiser roll instead of a long Italian roll so you may be able to split one without overdoing it. An FYI - don't be intimidated by the food lines at the Ballpark, they move pretty quickly.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheesesteak/Phillies Game/Ashburn Alley

I will see you there, I had Tony Lukes about five years ago, even though it was a ballpark sandwich, it was the best I ever had.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,818 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheesesteak/Phillies Game/Ashburn Alley

There is a place right on Broad Next to the Citgo. I forget the name but they do have decent cheesesteaks

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheesesteak/Phillies Game/Ashburn Alley

How bad would I get it wearing a visiting team jersey to Citizen Bank?

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,402 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheesesteak/Phillies Game/Ashburn Alley

Depends on the team (see below). For the most part, you will get some polite and not so polite verbal abuse especially if the Phils are losing. You can get the occasional drunk idjit who gets obnoxious, security usually gets on those quick but we have had 'spilled' beers, etc. Generally speaking though, if you don't act like a jerk about it, most people around you won't.

As I noted, depends on the team. Not as bad as it used to be, but for a while a Mets Jersey would get some abuse. Cards are not too popular either, and to some extent (again not as bad) the Yankees.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheesesteak/Phillies Game/Ashburn Alley

Ended up getting a cheesesteak at Campo's. The line was long, but it moved right along. It was decent steak.

Great ball park and I really liked how all the stadiums were in one location and transportation on the subway was very easy.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,402 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheesesteak/Phillies Game/Ashburn Alley

Glad you had a good time. The Sports Complex was always a great idea geopgraphically, just wish more businesses/hotels had ended up along the S broad corridor.