We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay about 1/2 hour south of the city?

Massachussets
Level Contributor
417 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay about 1/2 hour south of the city?

I'm driving down tomorrow from Boston area to Washington DC. I'd like to stop somewhere south of Philadelphia tomorrow night so would only have to drive a couple hours on Tues morning to arrive in DC. Looking for a safe, comfortable hotel preferably with an outside pool. Nearby restaurants and attractions or a cute town to walk around in would be an added bonus as I'm traveling with my 3 kids.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Likely To Sell Out
Philadelphia and Amish Country Tour...
410 Reviews
from US$169.00*
Special Offer
Founding Fathers Tour of Philadelphia
158 Reviews
from US$21.45*
US$33.00
Philadelphia Hop-On Hop-Off Bus City...
272 Reviews
from US$32.00*
Old City Walking Tour in Philadelphia
25 Reviews
from US$25.00*
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,405 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay about 1/2 hour south of the city?

Half an hour south of Philly is Wilmington, Delaware. I suggest you post on that forum.

Mentioned in this post
Wilmington
Wilmington
Delaware
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay about 1/2 hour south of the city?

I suggest going a little farther south than Wilmington. There are hotels just off I-95 at the exits for Routes 7 and 1, Route 273, and Route 896 in Delaware. If you look on a map, these exits are just south of where I-495 and I-295 merge into I-95. The hotels at any of these exits would be very convenient to the highway and restaurants.

The closest thing you'll find to a "cute town" is Newark, DE, which is a college town near the I-95 interchanges with Route 273 and 896. The Chriatiana Mall is just off I-95 at Routes 7 and 1. But I don't really think there's anything in the area that's worth stopping for. I suggest you just get back on the road after spending the night in the hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Newark
Newark
Delaware
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay about 1/2 hour south of the city?

I personally would recommend stopping in Philly itself, and staying at the Wyndham (formerly Holiday Inn) Historic, which meets your criteria for outdoor pool and neighborhood where there are restaurants and attractions nearby. You could do some sightseeing in the AM in Philly, before heading down to Washington DC.The drive from Philly to DC is about 3 hours, if you leave around noon you should avoid most rush hour traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
4. Re: where to stay about 1/2 hour south of the city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 05:16