We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from New York to Philly

Ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
train from New York to Philly

I will be flying in to JFK in April and intend travelling on to Philly for a 3 night break and then back to NY for 5 nights. Please advise me on the best form of transport for my journey since I will be travelling with a large case. Is only hand luggage allowed on the Amtrak train ? Any advice would really be appreciated.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from New York to Philly

You can take almost any size luggage on AMTRAK. The baggage regulations are not enforced between Boston and Washington, and this will include your trip (NYC to Phila).

Ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from New York to Philly

Thanks very much for the prompt reply and that useful info.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,677 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from New York to Philly

If you're talking the Northeast Regional, there has usually been one open space at one end of each car (not both ends) where a large case will go. Any smaller cases fit above your head. Just make sure to get in the front of the line as that space doesn't hold too many large cases.

I learned something the last few days riding SEPTA from the airport to downtown Philly also --- in case it might be on your path. I thought it was a commuter train (like MARC to DC) but there have been plenty of people with large cases on it also. Nobody seemed to care, as long as they weren't in the aisles.

Also, 3 days will barely scratch the surface of Philly (having been in town for the past 4 days) but have a great time. Next time I'll stay a week.

Having taken Amtrak from NYC to Philly several times recently, you will find it very simple.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from New York to Philly

The earlier you book hour Amtrak ticket the better. Prices increase appreciably as the travel date approaches.

Edited: 15 September 2013, 04:19
Ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from New York to Philly

thanks for the info

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from New York to Philly

marlySF,

In regards, to riding the Septa trains, large suitcases are allowed onboard these trains. The conductors have even helped me with mine. As long as they're not in the way, nobody has a problem with them.

7. Re: train from New York to Philly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 05:18