We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Univ city to Art Museum

Calicut
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Walking from Univ city to Art Museum

Hi, I am new to Philadelphia. I like walking around to places and distance is not an issue. I am planning to take a walk from 39th street to Museum of Art. How safe is the route?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
732 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Univ city to Art Museum

Not sure where on 39th you are, but yes it's a safe walk. You probably want to go up 34 or 33 St and walk north to Spring Garden St & then walk over the Spring Garden St bridge to the Art Museum. I used to walk that route all the time when I worked at 32nd & Spring Garden Sts.

On this route you'll also get some beautiful views of the city...

Calicut
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Univ city to Art Museum

thanks pookala!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
732 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Univ city to Art Museum

I also wanted to add this info, I would advise not walking north above Spring Garden Sts on 33rd or 34th, if you wanted to get to the Zoo lets say. It would be better to take public transportation there and a less sketchy route.

Walking in Powelton Village is fine though: a little history

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…_Philadelphia

Plus Sabrinas Cafe at 34th & Powelton is worth checking out.

http://sabrinascafe.com/

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,394 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Univ city to Art Museum

You also didn't say what time of day, I assumed during the day. In that case there will be more students, etc around. I drive home that way from the zoo late at night some times and I can't say I would be 100 percent comfortable on 34th as noted by myself at that time.

It's not a HORRID area, I think sketchy in spots is a good description.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from Univ city to Art Museum

agreed, during the day this walk is OK. Just don't flash your iphone or other small electronics, there are a lot of robberies in this vicinity.

Edited: 23 September 2013, 18:38
6. Re: Walking from Univ city to Art Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 06:21