We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a campground within 30min drive of Philly.......

New York
Level Contributor
937 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a campground within 30min drive of Philly.......

Looking for a campground within 30min drive of Philly. Any suggestions?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a campground within 30min drive of Philly.......

What type of campground are you looking for? What type of vehicle are you driving? Are you planning to use a campground as a base for visiting Philly, or are you just interested in going camping? PA State parks have a website with info on all the state parks with campgrounds, if you are just interested in camping. …state.pa.us/stateparks/staythenight/camping/

Edited: 07 October 2013, 16:25
New York
Level Contributor
937 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a campground within 30min drive of Philly.......

We want to use it as a base for visiting the area. We have a pop-up and don't need much in terms of amenities. Just a safe, clean place close to Philly. Thanks!!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a campground within 30min drive of Philly.......

what time of year are you planning to visit? Are you going to bring a car with you as well? there would likely be no public transit available from a campground.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a campground within 30min drive of Philly.......

Not many options... French Creek State Park is the closest State Park. And there is a KOA in West Chester.

In NJ there's this - http://www.timberlanecampground.com/ - but I've never stayed there.

Good luck.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a campground within 30min drive of Philly.......

There is a lot of good camping in PA, but just not near Philly. You might be better served to leave the camper at home for this trip. Since you live in NY, you can leave the car at home and just come by train or bus.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 18:45
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a campground within 30min drive of Philly.......

According to the state park website French Creek has no camping.

I agree the West Chester KOA would probably be the closest. However its probably more than half an hour from Philly(Its west of West Chester)

Edited: 07 October 2013, 18:53
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a campground within 30min drive of Philly.......

Let me correct my post Frech Creek does have camping However, I would expect it to be more than half qan hour from Philly

New York
Level Contributor
937 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a campground within 30min drive of Philly.......

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into those campgrounds :)

rocknroll52.......we would have a car with us as well. Camping allows us to travel more often as we don't incur hotel fees. If you have a low-cost hotel suggestion that fits the same criteria (safe & clean), I'd love to hear it :)

We'll be visiting in either April or July. Thanks!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a campground within 30min drive of Philly.......

Hotel rates vary widely by specific dates. The best advice is to check for deals on hotel discount sites. Hotwire usually has some good deals. If you come without the car you won't have to pay for parking. Megabus round trip from NYC is a very low cost way to travel here.

As to camping, imagine if someone asked you if there were a good campground to use as a base to see NYC. Philly is the same. Its just not a camping destination.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 22:12
New York
Level Contributor
937 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a campground within 30min drive of Philly.......

LoL :) You're right about camping in/near NYC! But we got lucky & found a nice campground 1/2 hr outside of Boston, guess we were hoping Philly would be more like that.......