We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Group Transportation from the Airport

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
217 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Group Transportation from the Airport

Just found out from my friend who is already in Philly that a few of his other friends will be on the same flight over with us. Originally we were 4 adults traveling and based on recommendations on this forum we were going to take the SEPTA as we are staying at the Hotel Palomar and it seemed convenient.

We now may have a group of 8 of us traveling to the same place. Any recommendations on the best way to get from the Philadelphia International Airport to the Hotel Palomar? Is SEPTA still recommended as easiest (about $8/person from what I can gather), 2 taxis (seems like $28.50/person +$3 for additional people but not sure if trunk space is enough) or are limos, mini vans, other easily available?

This question is now a bit last minute as we fly out in a few hours so I know I may not get an answer in time. I'm trying to do my own searches online but may also just inquire when we touch down. Looking forward to this trip and you will be seeing a trip report from me when we are back!

Thank you :)

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Group Transportation from the Airport

The $28.50 cab fare is for everyone in the cab, not per person. With eight people and their luggage you might need three cabs betweent he eight of you.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
217 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Group Transportation from the Airport

True. I'm leaning toward just taking the SEPTA as it seems like the easiest way to do it. We don't have too much luggage as it's only a weekend trip so should be quick to get off and on and talk the short walk down the street from the station.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,686 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Group Transportation from the Airport

Yes. SEPTA will be cheaper than 3 cabs. It's your best bet.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Group Transportation from the Airport

With that size group you might look at a van pickup. They can get one that will handle all the luggage door to door and it shouldn't be too much more per person than Septa (I'm figuring about $100 plus a tip).

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,686 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Group Transportation from the Airport

SEPTA will cost only $64.00.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Group Transportation from the Airport

Yeah its a tradeoff, time and convenience versus a little more cost...

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Group Transportation from the Airport

In general, I'm an advocate of public transit including Septa. However, in your situation, I think the taxi makes more sense. Considering your group size, the price difference split between 8 people equates to approximately $5 more per person for a taxi vs. train.

Edited: 10 November 2013, 05:36
Vancouver
Level Contributor
217 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Group Transportation from the Airport

I didn't get to read all the messages in time, but just as an update to what we ended up doing...

For 8 of us, we had minimal luggage as this was just a long weekend trip so we were comfortably able to do 4 per cab so 2 cabs. It cost us $32.50 per cab plus tips (breaks down to $28.50 flat rate + $1 airport fee + $1/person after the first person) so it was roughly the same as taking the SEPTA and we found it convenient especially after traveling all night with little to no sleep.

From the hotel to the airport, we did take the SEPTA which was extremely convenient and fast and it was cheaper because I guess we bought it from the ticket booth instead of on the train and it was $6.50 per person (and only 4 of us were traveling)

9. Re: Group Transportation from the Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 05:17