We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philly for a day

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Topic
Philly for a day

I've never been to Philadelphia, and will be there on Saturday for a show (around 7pm at Merriam Theater and coming from about 2 hrs away in North Jersey). I want to make a day trip out of it and am hoping you can guide me through some must-see stops we should hit. We're open to anything- museums, landmarks, parks?

Also, what is parking like? Do most places have parking lots or are there public city lots we should use and walk our way through the city? If we do have to park in a central lot, are most places within walking distance?

We obviously need to eat a cheesesteak for lunch (recommendations?). Any recommendations for dinner near the theater?

I know this is kind of broad, but I'm open to all suggestions!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philly for a day

Chrissy - It really is too broad a question for us to effectively answer. If you haven't taken a look at the FAQ articles, particularly "things to do," then take a look.

With regard to the layout of downtown (Center City), it's about one by two miles and very walkable, with public transportation and cabs available.

Lynn

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,769 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philly for a day

There are many public lots and garages. I would park near the Merriam. It won't be cheap, but at least you car will be nearby when the show is over. It is also centrally located, so whatever you decide to do, it won't be more than a mile away from where you park. For a first time visitor, I suggest Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, and nearby sites. Depending how you time things, you could grab a cheesesteak at Reading Terminal Market, or walk down to 4th & South, and get a cheesesteak at Jim's, perhaps the best around (opinions vary, of course).

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philly for a day

check out this website to find the best rate for parking near the theater. http://philadelphia.bestparking.com/

since you are coming at a festive time of year you may want to check out this link to holiday attractions visitphilly.com/articles/…

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philly for a day

I would park then use cabs,etc. Definitely concentrate on the area around Independence Hall, etc. Or if you have time, you could take a cab / bus to the Museum of Art even if its just to see the Rocky Statue / steps.

There is a lot to do there and too little time!!! Enjoy it.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philly for a day

I agree that you should use Best Parking to find a garage or lot near the theater, park there when you arrive, and leave the car there until you're ready to head home. Center City is compact, and it's easy to get around by walking. riding public transportation, or taking cabs. Driving and parking are a hassle. (Have you considered taking the train to avoid driving and parking?)

My must-sees would be the Philadelphia Museum of Art and Independence Hall. Your tastes might differ, though. Check out the FAQ on things to do to see what appeals to you.

6. Re: Philly for a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2014, 05:17