We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Friendly hotel suggestions for 3 day stop in Philly

Central Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Family Friendly hotel suggestions for 3 day stop in Philly

We are making a brief 3 night stop in Philly on our way between Williamsburg and NYC. We know we won't see everything, but have been here before and are just going to be hitting some of the highlights. We will be stopping at Valley Forge the first day. hitting the historical spots on day 2 and then the Constitution Center, Federal Reserve, US Mint, Franklin Institute and Museum of Art on day 3. Last time we were here we stayed at the Hyatt at Penn's Landing, but since we won't be visiting that area of the city this time, we are looking for a location closer to the attractions above. I know parking is also a difficulty in Philly, so we'd like something with fairly reasonable nightly rates. I've looked here and am considering the Best Western but am curious to hear other options you've experienced.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Friendly hotel suggestions for 3 day stop in Philly

The Best Western at 22nd Street is the only downtown hotel that we do not recommend.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,343 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Friendly hotel suggestions for 3 day stop in Philly

Look on the go philly website to see if there is a deal including parking, or you can park at a garage near the hotel as long as you don't need in and out (you don't for that list)

For those attractions I would look at either the historic district or rittenhouse (see our Where to stay FAQ)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,926 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Friendly hotel suggestions for 3 day stop in Philly

We found the Embassy Suites to be very centrally located - it had bus service (both Phlash and regular septa) to both the historic district and the museum area. HUGE suites with living room and mini-kitchen (micro and small fridge), free breakfast.

Parking is going to be expensive everywhere in Center City but take a look at the ES.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Friendly hotel suggestions for 3 day stop in Philly

Regarding parking, I would recommend you leave the car parked once you arrive in Philly. Center City is best navigated without a car. It is a relatively compact area, which is pedestrian friendly. There are also several public transit options.

Here is a helpful website to find the cheapest parking:

http://philadelphia.bestparking.com/

Edited: 09 February 2014, 03:36
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Friendly hotel suggestions for 3 day stop in Philly

Check out the FAQ on where to stay. One of the articles there gives a good breakdown of the different neighborhoods and some specific hotel options in Center City. Another article lists suite hotels and others with amenities that might appeal to families.

The FAQs are on the right side of the page on the desktop version, not the mobile version, of TA.

If you want more specific help, give us more specific information. How many people are traveling? How old are the kids? How many beds so you need? What are your exact dates? How much are you willing to spend per night before taxes, which add 15.2%? What makes a hotel "family friendly" to you?

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Friendly hotel suggestions for 3 day stop in Philly

Day 3 sounds exhausting. Are you sure you want to try to do all of that in one day? (Honestly, I'm not sure you can.)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Friendly hotel suggestions for 3 day stop in Philly

Three of the attractions that you mention for day 3 are in the historic area--the constitution center, federal reserve and us mint...so it may work better to try to put them in day 2

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Friendly hotel suggestions for 3 day stop in Philly

Day 3 is not possible. You need to shift some things around in the way rocknroll suggests.

Level Contributor
32 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Friendly hotel suggestions for 3 day stop in Philly

The Monaco Hotel. It's great and it is right in the historic area

Central Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Friendly hotel suggestions for 3 day stop in Philly

thank you for all of your suggestions. I'll start rethinking day 3. I think Day 2 will already be filled, because my kids are history buffs and I know we'll take a decent time exploring all of the historical sites.

Is the US Mint tour interesting for kids? Should I scratch it?

Should I get rid of the museum district all together and head out to Eastern State Penitentiary instead? Would there be time for that after the Constitution Center / Fed Reserve in the am?