We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flower Show Secrets? Food?

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
581 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Flower Show Secrets? Food?

We are going to the Flower Show for the first time and so excited. If you are a Flower Show afficianado, we want to know if there are any special highlights or presentations that are not-to-be-missed.... or any behind-the-scenes tours or any special secret spots that are special? Also is there any food available at the show? Or should we plan to leave the show for lunch? Thanks for any tips!!!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,104 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flower Show Secrets? Food?

There is food available at the show, even some decent options on the upper level food court if open, but generally we leave the show because there are literally 200 restaurants in a 1 mile radius.

The show changes events every year, and there are no 'secret' events, everything is listed on the website. There are some events that are PHS members only.

The one thing I have noticed is that many attendees only go on the flower show floor and don't check out the market in Reading Headhouse or some of the side rooms, like the Man cave (if they do it again) or the Butterfly experience (extra ticket required)

This article may help: philly.com/philly/blogs/things_to_do/What-to…

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flower Show Secrets? Food?

The food there is not great i recommend eating at reading terminal market..wursthaus schmitz is my favorite in rtm

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,104 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flower Show Secrets? Food?

My only issue with RTM during the flower show is that it is PACKED beyond all reason at lunchtime.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flower Show Secrets? Food?

True but so is the flower show. LOL. At least the food is good at RTM.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flower Show Secrets? Food?

I agree w/ everything Loonbeam says - we have talked about skipping a meal at the RTM this year because it is always so crowded. Maybe by having a snack mid morning a lunch around 2-3 would not be as busy. Highly advise it for a first timer since it's right across the street from the Convention Ctr and such an institution - great shopping and eating. Just don't go at noon. Chinatown is within walking distance if you would care for an asian meal.

As for the show itself, the main showroom is always the most crowded - esp. right at opening. Head for either the vendors area (HUGE) or the individual judging classes instead and go back later when the crowds thin a bit - always crowded there though. There is a lot to see so be prepared for a full day of horticultural overload !!

TG

Edited: 27 February 2014, 12:56
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,741 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flower Show Secrets? Food?

This is post-flower show, but keep in mind that you can get your hand stamped (only at the escalator exit at the big T-intersection) and come back in after an outside lunch. If the weather is good, there are modest places like the 13th street restaurant district (around Barbuzzo-I don't know that I'd try El Vez without a reservation), maybe just far enough to not be as crowded. There is also a food court at the underground mall off the Market East Rail Station, but I haven't been there recently.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,104 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flower Show Secrets? Food?

Also post flower show, but its worth noting that the food options inside were not bad at all if a tad pricey. Jose Garces had a stand, DiBrunos and others, and all are expected to return.

8. Re: Flower Show Secrets? Food?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 04:33