We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Philly looking for hotel near attractions

fremont
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One day in Philly looking for hotel near attractions

Hi, going to be in Philly from April 29 to the 30th. Looking for a hotels near the attractions such as Liberty Bell, and other founding father attractions. ANy recommendations?

How is the metro in Philly? If its good, I can stay away from the center.

I have about 80K hilton points. But you can recommend other hotel also.

Oh, how long is the line to that bell?

Level Contributor
32 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Philly looking for hotel near attractions

Hotel Monaco and the Omni are right in the historic area. The Monaco has a fun roof top bar

Val W

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Philly looking for hotel near attractions

I recommend staying in Center City, and the historic area specifically would be most convenient for what you plan to do. Philadelphia has good public transportation within Center City, but if you stay in the suburbs, you'll probably need a car to get to the transit station. And commuting is no fun.

If you want to use your Hilton points, there is a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn near the convention center. That's outside the historic area, and the convention center area is rather dull compared with other parts of Center City, but you can still get to the historic attractions easily by walking or taking mass transit. I stayed at the Hampton Inn once and thought it was a decent hotel with good service.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 04:22
fremont
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Philly looking for hotel near attractions

on priceline map..what zone number is city center? thank you.

fremont
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Philly looking for hotel near attractions

Wow those two hotels are booked on my date. ANy other hotels nearby?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Philly looking for hotel near attractions

Prices vary quite substantially based on dates. That is, prices increase dramatically if there is a large conference or event at the Conention Center. For the dates you listed, I checked Priceline Express Deals. Unfortunately, the cheapest hotel in Center City East is $237 and it is only a 1-star hotel. The listed 3-star and 4-star options exceed $300/nt.

What is your budget? Would you consider a smaller boutique hotel? If so, the Alexander Inn gets great reviews and has availability. Unlike large chain hotels, the Alexander Inn does not increase prices based on demand. It is not in the Historic District but easily walkable and still a desirable area.

http://www.alexanderinn.com/home.asp

Edited: 03 March 2014, 06:07
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Philly looking for hotel near attractions

Given your very limited time, I would highly recommend staying in Center City. You will waste time and money if you stay in the suburbs and commute.

Center City is very pedestrian friendly. You do not need or want a car. Public transit is also very reliable and easy, both the bus and metro system.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 06:10
fremont
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Philly looking for hotel near attractions

Hi I got the Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel for 240.00 on Priceline. Is this hotel in a good location?

I would like to have breakfast outside...I'm assuming there cafes around this area. thank you.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,237 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Philly looking for hotel near attractions

That hotel is in a very good location- just a few blocks from the major historic sites and Penn's Landing. there are lots of bars and restaurants in the area, but for breakfast, you may need to go to the South Street Diner (2nd & South). It is only a few blocks away, not fancy, but it will get the job done.

9. Re: One day in Philly looking for hotel near attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 05:17