We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On Arrival - luggage storage Independence Hall

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
On Arrival - luggage storage Independence Hall

Our first visit to eastern USA and Phildelphia - we arrive at around 8:30am at the airport, and due to some work issues for the people we're staying with they won't be able to pick us up until early afternoon.

Looking at maps it seems straightforward to catch a train into the city - and it seems the Independence Hall Visitors Centre would be good place to start our visit.

The only issue I have is that we will have our luggage with us - just carry on sized day packs - but obviously we'd prefer to store them somewhere. Also I suspect that security would have a problem with them too!

Any suggestions as to where to leave the bags - happy to pay - it would only be 1/2 a day or so. are there lugage lockers at any of the train stations? Does the visitor centre offer a luggage storage service - I can't find any mention on their website.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,769 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On Arrival - luggage storage Independence Hall

You are correct- it is very easy to get into the city from the airport. We even have an FAQ for it (see our FAQs on the top right of this page- FAQ:Travel From the Airport). If you are using the mobile version of Trip Advisor, you can't see the FAQs, so use this link: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-s301/Philadelp…

I don't know about storage of bags at Independence Hall. I think there is none, and I'm not sure if they refuse entrance if the bag is too large. I know they will search it. One of the other Destination Experts, Lynn, will know for sure, and I'm sure she or someone else who knows will post soon.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On Arrival - luggage storage Independence Hall

I'm not aware of any storage facility at the Visitor Center.

There is a security check at Independence Square before you can enter Independence Hall, Congress Hall, or the West Wing. There is also a check at the Liberty Bell Center. You can go into these historic sites with your bags, but first they will be searched. If that's too much of a hassle, you can take turns going into those places or you can go to any of the many other sites like Franklin Court, 2nd Bank, the historic houses of worship, Elfreth's Alley, et al. Be aware of what time the various sites open. www.nps.gov/inde/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Note, the Constitution Center And the Jewish Museum also have security checks.

Lynn

Edited: 06 April 2014, 15:38
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On Arrival - luggage storage Independence Hall

Here's a thought. Get off the train at 30th Street Station and store your bags there. It's only 2 miles from the historic district.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,055 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On Arrival - luggage storage Independence Hall

Another option that may or may not work depending on who you talk to is find a hotel nearby, there are several explain your situation,and ask the bell captain if they will hold your bags (for an appropriate tip of course). If they are not busy and the boss is not watching, they may do it.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On Arrival - luggage storage Independence Hall

You have to have an Amtrak ticket to use Amtrak's luggage storage at 30th Street. I think a hotel bell desk is the best option.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On Arrival - luggage storage Independence Hall

Thanks Lauren. I didn't know that.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: On Arrival - luggage storage Independence Hall

I must admit I assumed they would just refuse large bags as is common practice in Europe.

.Though I don't care if they want to search the bags. Are lines like to be long on a Wed morning in late April? I assume it's not quite tourist season yet?

I don't know I have the nerve to ask a bell captain - I have no idea how to tip even if we were staying in the hotel LOL!

Sounds like it's doable for a few hours anyway - thanks for the link with opening hours - that's handy as we arrive at the airport at 8:30am so we will be quite early.

Thanks - I'd found the FAQ - very useful!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: On Arrival - luggage storage Independence Hall

>>I have no idea how to tip even if we were staying in the hotel<<

You just hand cash to the person who takes or brings your bags. If I were a hotel guest and had one bag to be stored, I would tip $2-$3 when I picked up the bag. In your case, if you're not a guest, I think you need to tip generously both when you leave the bags and when you pick them up. I'd go with at least $5 when you drop off and $5 when you pick up.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: On Arrival - luggage storage Independence Hall

In late April we see many school groups. It's hard to predict what the line at the Bell will be on any given day, but it won't be a steady long line. How fast the line moves will depend on how many security people are working, who they are, and who is ahead of you. If you see the line is half way down the building, figure 15 minutes before you get in.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: On Arrival - luggage storage Independence Hall

Thanks Lauren - is that per a bag? Yeah I know physically how to do it - but I don't know amounts - I'm used to doing it in in developing countries - but it's hard to know what is not insulting in the US - so that's helpful.

is there a "peak" time for school groups? Morning maybe? Happy to avoid if possible :-)