We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking Close to City Center

Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Parking Close to City Center

Hello,

I'm considering driving down to Philly for the day, but don't want to deal with the craziness of parking in the city center. Is there somewhere close by where I can park my car and then take public transportation to pick up the Trolley Works trolley? I'm not sure if this is the name of the trolley company!! It's hop-on, hop-off and something I purchased on Groupon.

Any insights into convenient parking, not too far from the city center would be greatly appreciated. I plan on driving down either the first or second weekend in May.

Thanks!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking Close to City Center

I checked the name of the trolley company -- Philadelphia Trolley Works. I also found out that tours start at 5th and Market St.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking Close to City Center

I think parking outside the city and taking public transportation in would be more trouble than it's worth in your situation. Either take Amtrak to Philadelphia instead of driving or just park in Center City. You can use Best Parking to find parking prices and options.

philadelphia.bestparking.com

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking Close to City Center

There are less expensive places to park, but the most convenient for you will be the parking garage adjacent to the Independence Visitors' Center at 6th and Market Streets. Garage entrance is between Market and Arch Streets and I think you can go in on both the 5th and 6th Street sides. The parking garage is behind the Visitor's Center.

Just parked there last month and it was a great place to leave the car and strike out on foot. Actually, it was easy to find and I think that we paid about $17 for all morning and afternoon, while we saw the Liberty Bell, toured Independence Hall, walked to the Reading Terminal Market and had lunch, did a few other strolls (including Ben Franklin's grave, and that went back to the car.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking Close to City Center

Thank you for both your responses.

I will check both options -- best parking and parking at the garage at 6th and Market. Does the second option have an address for GPS purposes?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking Close to City Center

Thank you for both your responses.

I will check both options -- best parking and parking at the garage at 6th and Market. Does the second option have an address for GPS purposes?

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking Close to City Center

41 North 6th Street,

Philadelphia, PA 19106

Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking Close to City Center

Thank you very much!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking Close to City Center

Just an update to my query -

I drove down to Philadelphia yesterday and I parked at the garage recommended by Tylerarb. It was easy and very convenient to the Philadelphia Trolley Works Hop-on Hop-off Bus. Spent a great day in Philly and parking was hassle-free. It cost $17 for the 6+ hours that I left my car there.

Thank you , Tyler for a great recommendation!

Allentown...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking Close to City Center

Do anyone know of any affordable parking near 30th St Station?? I'm catching the MegaBus to Richmond and was driving from Allentown to catch the bus. I have no clue where to park and Im leaving this Friday 5/9/14.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking Close to City Center

Nina, thanks for posting back. I'm glad things worked out.

Shauntay, you can look for parking options on Best Parking (link in reply No. 2 above). Any parking anywhere near 30th Street Station will have big-city rates -- which is to say it will be expensive. I think you should reconsider your plan. Why not drive to Richmond? If you really want to take the bus, can you leave the car at home and take a bus from Allentown to Philadelphia?