We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to handle PHL airport

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
How to handle PHL airport

I will be arriving earlier in Philadelphia than my husband. I will be arriving from a domestic flight arriving in Terminal E and he will be arriving about an hour or so later on aniInternational flight arriving in Terminal A West.

I have tried in vain to find out from the PHL airport website map how to get from Terminal E baggage reclaim to Terminal A West. HELP!!! (I am prepared to walk through plenty of car parks, but am sure that there is a simpler way, if only I could but find it!)

Am I correct in assuming that all international flights arriving at Terminal A West share the same customs and immigration and baggage reclaim facilities and therefore arrive landside at the same door?

After meeting, we need to take a train from the airport to Glendale. Again, I've searched in vain for the train station on the map (OK I'm probably just not looking in the right place, but please be indulgeant!) Where is it, how do we get to it from Terminal A West arrivals and where is the ticket office? Can we pay in cash or credit card at a ticket office rather than buy a fancy card with a chip that we probably won't use the full value of for a single ride?

And one final question. How much is a single fare per adult from the airport to Glendale?

VERY many thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I am most grateful.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,618 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to handle PHL airport

Here is a link to the map of the terminals:

phl.org/passengerinfo/…phlmap0414.swf

The problem is that once you get to the baggage claim area, you are outside the secured area. You can definitely walk through the parking garages, but you may be able to walk inside the airport as well. I'll let the more experienced airport users fill that in for you.

As to the train, there are stops at each terminal (except F). You can see them on the map. You will pay your $8.00/person fare, in CASH ONLY, on board the train. The big problem is that there is no Glendale. Do mean maybe Glenside, or Glenolden?

Edited: 13 May 2014, 01:22
Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,952 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to handle PHL airport

Unfortunately, there is no way for you to meet your husband airside. If you are not claiming bags, you can walk from Terminal E to A inside, then exit terminal A near International Arrivals and access the public area. If you need to got to baggage claim E, you can simply walk along the sidelwalks to A international arrivals, its a long walk. The parking garages are not directly connected.. All international flights exit landside after customs, your target is that purple football shaped area on the map.

Alternately but not efficiently you can hop on the economy parking shuttle, ride it to the lot then back to terminal A (note that if the bus you go out on is not looping you will have to get off and wait for the next inbound bus. Slower periods they don't run a steady loop. This is a good option in case of rain.

Plan C would be to walk to the B/C bag claim area and have your husband meet you in the middle, but honestly its really really boring in baggage claim.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,618 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to handle PHL airport

You could take the train from E to A. There is a slight chance the conductor will let you ride for free.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,618 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to handle PHL airport

Loonbeam means that your target is the purple rugby ball-shaped area. :)

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,952 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to handle PHL airport

They have been enforcing the tickets on the e-a route because of people doing that, or trying to board there for the outbound flip. That said, if the timing works, it is an option.

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to handle PHL airport

Thank you so much for the replies so far!

MY BAD!! I meant GLENSIDE! Really sorry for the false information .... I was typing far too late beyond my usual bedtime. Please could you gently 'walk me through' getting from PHL to GLENSIDE!!! VERY sorry for my mistake and grateful for efforts to help me even though I led you (albeit temporarily) up the garden path.

So, if I understand things correctly, when I pick up my bags in Terminal E I will have to walk along the exterior sidewalk to Terminal A. Might it be worth getting a cab?

Edited: 13 May 2014, 05:39
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,618 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to handle PHL airport

It would be less expensive to pay the $8.00 for the train than for a cab. Okay, as to Glenside, see my next post.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 12:26
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,618 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to handle PHL airport

The Airport trains all have a final destination that is reached after passing through the three downtown Philadelphia stations. If you are lucky, the one you are on will go to, or pass through Glenside. Ask the conductor on the Airport train,a nd buy your ticket to Glenside from him/her.

If your train does not stop at Glenside, you will need to change trains at any one of the downtown Philadelphia stations. I strongly suggest 30th Street for the connection. It's a nicer place to wait than the other two stations. Many different lines will take you to Glenside, so here is a link to the combined Glenside schedule:

www.septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/gln.pdf

And here's a tip for reading the schedule. At the bottom of the listings, you will see a row for "Train continues to (See destination codes)". Look at the Destination Codes, as that is how the train will be marked when you board at 30th Street

Note that you may need to switch platforms at 30th Street. At the bottom of the stairs, you will find a SEPTA information booth. If the booth is not manned, look for the Dunkin Donuts. Walk past it to where the ramp leads down and turn around. You will see a bank of overhead monitors with the schedules and track for each train line. Use that information. Ignore the permanent plastic destination signs for each track, as the trains can switch around from what those read.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,952 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to handle PHL airport

As far as the walk, the issue is that PHL uses a loop road system, which means the traffic comes in one side (A terminal) and exits the other (F Terminal). So to get from E to A via a vehicle, cab or otherwise, the vehicle needs to leave the airport, loop around on a highway and come back in the other side. Unless its raining, walking is just the easiest way (or if you have a ton of luggage I suppose)

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to handle PHL airport

Thank you SO much. I am much clearer now, and will be printing out this info to take with me. I am most grateful for the time you've taken to sort out my problem.