We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day itinerary: is this doable?

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Topic
1 day itinerary: is this doable?

Hi,

We (DH, myself and 3 kids, 12, 8, and 5) will just have one day in Philadelphia. We will get there around 8 am on Saturday, May 31st. We wanted to go to the Liberty Bell/independence Hall first, but the online tickets are not available until around lunch time. If we are there at 8 or so, will there be a chance of getting an earlier time?

After seeing all of that (2 hours sound right??), we were going to use a hop on/hop off to see the rest of the city. We'd like to stop at Reading Terminal Market for lunch (1 hour or longer?), and then DH and the older boys will go to the pennitentiary while I bring the 5yo to the Please Touch Museum (2 hours for these?).

Does this sound doable for one day? I believe the bus tour ends at 5pm. If we can't get timed entry tickets for first thing in the morning, what time should we get them for, if we do these other things first? Thanks for any advice at all!

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,681 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 1 day itinerary: is this doable?

After visiting both, you will wish you had spent less time in Boston, and more in Philadelphia.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 1 day itinerary: is this doable?

"After visiting both, you will wish you had spent less time in Boston, and more in Philadelphia."

Probably right, there are certain things I want to see in each city. When I went to Munich for 1 day I wish I was able to spend 4 days there, but couldn't. I usually regret not spending more time in whatever place I visit, but it just makes it where I could go back in the near future with a good deal. There are certain things about American History I want to see in both Boston and Philly.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 1 day itinerary: is this doable?

If you use the Big Bus, the entire loop without getting off is 1 1/2 hours. If you buy a one day pass for $27/person for an adult (don't know if there's a kids rate), it will take you to the Please Touch museum but you need to get off the bus & take a shuttle from the west side of the Art Museum. The shuttle also stops at the Reading Terminal Market. They also stop at the Penatentury. However, I know this from a recent 1st trip to Philly & the guide on the bus didn't seem enthusiastic about the stop at the Penatentury (sp?). There is a company called Urban Adventures which does a nice walking tour of the historic district although the tour I took ended at a bar (I was the only one who took the tour that day) & I don't know if they have a more family friendly alternative ending.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 1 day itinerary: is this doable?

Perhaps you could spend one more day in Philly (and one less in Boston).

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: 1 day itinerary: is this doable?

"Perhaps you could spend one more day in Philly (and one less in Boston)."

There are a few things I want to see in Boston that would require more time. Freedom Trail would require a good 2-3 hours alone. I can always go back to both places, just want to get the main history stuff done for now.

26. Re: 1 day itinerary: is this doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:16